SA Treasurer Candidates Q&A

Andrew Sprecher:
Q: What has the treasurer done in the past that you’d like to expand, continue or improve on?
A:  “One of the main things is Bulldog Bash, that is a big thing for the students. In the past, I think the treasurer has tried to put most of the money in the budget toward that – which I completely agree with – but I think there’s ways to bring bigger people to campus. There’s multiple ways to do that, one of them is working with the chief programming officer to get better sponsorships, more sponsorships, that brings in a lot of money for that. That’s a really big thing that I’m looking at.”

Q: If elected, what are your main goals you would like to accomplish?
A: “Like I said, Bulldog Bash is a big thing, there is always room to make it better. Also I’d like to make the financial records available to students so they know where the money is going, it’s not a secret, it can go online and be published. Another thing is the Big Event, in their budget this year there was only $100, and I think its really hard to run something that big with just $100, and like I said, there are other committees that you could take small funds from to put toward that, and I’d like to do that and help that event continue to grow.”

Q: What aspects of the role of treasurer do you think need reform?
A: “I’m not bashing on any of the past treasurers at all, I think they’ve all done a wonderful job, but I think the treasurer can play a more active role with the actual members of the cabinet. There’s different ways to stay involved, like passing out an updated budget every month to cabinet or sitting down individually with cabinet members and committee members and making sure they know what’s going and just being available to help out with different things whether it’s money or not.”

Q: How do you hope to improve the experience of the average student?
A: “As an exec member and being part of SA in general, I feel like helping with events for all the different committees will help each student have a better experience, whether that’s the Big Event or Bulldog Bash or an athletic event like Maroon Madness, there’s always room for improvement on those and being able to help with each of those things I feel like as an exec member I would be able to make a difference and keep expanding SA and growing the events that SA puts on to improve student life.”

Alex Ezelle:
A: “Well the biggest thing is just to keep us in the positive, I think there’s been in the past where we’ve probably spent more money than we should and to be more aggressive in getting the individual committees more money because the smaller committees are starting to make really big events. We’ve got to continue to help these smaller committees and get good appropriations for them and continue this stream of having good financial accountability within all of the committees.”

A: “The biggest thing is making sure that our budget is bigger than it is now and having transparency with the rest of the student body because the constitution talks about how the student body is supposed to see all of the financial records that the SA has and that is how it is, but its just not very user-friendly. I also really want to continue to bridge the gap between cabinet and senate. Another big thing is having a continuous knowledge and awareness of where we are financially and hold everyone accountable from top to bottom in the SA.”

A: “I think the two biggest things are increasing the adviser role to the senate, just being more actively involved, and I think they’ve done a good job of that in the past but you can always improve. Then the other thing is making sure that cabinet directors are being more detailed in their financial planning.”

A:  “I think SA as a whole, not so much specifically what I would be doing, but just improving the SA is making people aware of all the opportunities there are with the SA as far as what we actually do and if people realize that then they will be more likely to get involved and if more members of the student body get involved, we’ll be more connected to what they want, and if we know what they want, it’s just going to improve the Mississippi State student experience.”