Human trafficking needs awareness

I want to write to you and tell you how much I appreciate the article that addressed the issue of human trafficking that appeared in the Jan.  11 issue of The Reflector. It is such a big issue, and the main problem right now is awareness.
The majority of people don’t even know that people are being bought and sold and used and abused right under their noses.
Most (if not all) of us are supporting human trafficking without realizing it by the purchases we make. Forced labor has crept into almost every industry, including electronics, apparel, jewelry and coffee (all things we college students especially love).
I would like to highlight some useful resources that I have found that can be used when buying products that are known to usually involve some form of slave labor.
When I am at the grocery store or shopping for new clothes or in the market for a new computer, I want to be able to know which companies are fighting to end forced labor in their supply chains. These are the companies that I want to support over others.
One useful tool that I have come across is Free2Work.org. On the homepage of this website, you can plug in an industry (like apparel) and receive a list of companies within that industry that have been given a grade of A-F based on their policies and procedures that help to reduce forced labor in their supply chain.
There is also a Free2Work app that can be downloaded to some iPhones.
This app functions as a more mobile version of the website so that while you are out shopping, you can make better choices about what your money is going toward.
Another great thing to keep an eye out for is the “Fair Trade” certification. Companies that bear this certification have been ensured to greatly reduce or eliminate slave labor from their supply chain.
These companies are also good stewards to the environment and economic development.
One popular company that sells Fair-Trade-certified products is Ben & Jerry’s. What a great excuse to buy some ice cream!
Thank you for your notice on this issue. I would love to see other articles in the future that detail organizations such as these, so that readers can not only be aware of the issue but also be educated about practical ways that they can get involved.