Fall Into Color

Now that Labor Day has passed and the first home football game is here, it is time to look ahead to fall. This fall season is all about pops of color. Do not let yourself become bogged down in a pallet of dingy browns and dreary greys and blacks. By using color, you can shock life back into your fall wardrobe.

Let me begin by addressing one issue that seems to plague fall and winter wardrobes. The rule “no white after Labor Day” is dead. No longer are we shackled by the bonds of this rule.  Throw it out, and do not let anyone tell you otherwise. White makes a wonderful cooler-month color and should be a part of your fall wardrobe.

A great way to add color to your outfit is with socks. Go out and get yourself some brightly colored socks. Go big. Socks that have patterns, stripes or polka dots are always in fashion. However, leave the novelty printed socks on the shelves. Do not be the person under the impression that wearing socks with little cats all over them is a good idea. It is not and never will be. Because socks are not always visible and they are almost never fully exposed, you can wear a very bold color without overwhelming the outfit. Play around to find sock colors that will really amp up your clothing.  If you are unsure, try pairing blue socks with some brown corduroys. Blue and brown is a foolproof color combination.  Other surefire combinations include green and grey, yellow and blue or blue and orange.

As the weather cools, scarves should become a staple of your outerwear wardrobe. They provide a wonderful opportunity to add a lot of color. They work much in the same way socks do. Scarves can be very bold and colorful, but they do not overpower your outfit. 

If you are unsure about venturing into the scarved world, a good starting point is to pick yourself up an MSU scarf. I have one that has thick maroon and white stripes. It is a fairly bold scarf but is always well-received on campus. This is a great first scarf because it allows you to display school pride, while also building your confidence.

This fall, be bold, show off some color. Do not shy away from white, either. Following these few tips will help you be the best-dressed person in line to order your pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks.                   

Adam Sullivan
Adam Sullivan, Former Photography Editor
Adam Sullivan served as the Photography Editor from 2021 to 2022.