Fifth year: Senior Perspective

Four years. Depending on the context, four years can either be perceived as a rather short or very long period of time.
   Well, as a senior in college, I’m torn. At times, the past four years have seemed to drag on forever: the first time I failed an assignment, when I was 19-20-years-old and waiting to turn 21, when I walked into the wrong classroom buildings because I was too prideful to carry a campus map. At these points, it seemed like I was never going to get out of here. But senior year has been accompanied by a change in perspective. Everywhere I turn, someone questions my future career plans, and I’m left here wondering, “Where in the blazes have the past four years gone?”
   With my back against the wall of an ever-approaching graduation date, I realize several discrepancies with the traditional four-year college experience. To preface my stance, let me explain that while I am by no means the world’s most focused student, I have changed my major only once and have taken a minimum of 15 hours each semester. I have never repeated a class and have always felt that academically, I have had a fairly positive college career. That being said, my first question is this: when was I supposed to take the fun classes?
   I have always strictly followed the list of courses given to me by my adviser with the expectation of graduating in four years, but was it worth it? Was it worth missing out on pottery 101, gender in politics and wine tasting class? (No, I did not make this up. Wine. Tasting.) Call me nostalgic or afraid to move on, but I say nay. And I would dare to say I’m in good company.
   With the average student changing his or her major at least three to five times over the course of their college years (career.berkeley.edu), it is nearly impossible for a run-of-the-mill student to finish prerequisites in that brief four-year period, much less have a few spare hours to take classes that feed their personal interests. It just brings to light the question of which area of education is most vital: the routine freshman level core-classes that are required for graduation (whether or not they are pertinent to your specific major) or the enriching experience of furthering your knowledge on a topic you feel personally drawn to. Should everyone be subject to at least one semester of “hey, this may be the only time you ever get to devote all of your attention to learning and we want you to love it” classes?
   Secondly, I would like to address the fact that I just now feel like I “get” college. After four years, I finally know it takes 12 minutes to get to Dorman, but you shouldn’t take a bike because the sidewalks get really crowded. I know that public area on the second floor of the library is really the only cool place to study, if we’re being honest. I know that the cinnamon toast coffee in the POD is the most delicious (and cost effective) treat in the entire Golden Triangle Area. Unfortunately, it is just as I learn these nuggets of wisdom that I am yanked from my sense of security and forced into the working world, and with a pouty lip and crossed arms, I am screaming, “It’s not fair!”  
  On a more serious note, many colleges, including Mississippi State University, do not always extend scholarships beyond the traditional four years. I understand this from a financial standpoint — I do — but it seems that with the rising percentage of students requiring more than four years to graduate (34 percent of students will require at least five or six years according to the U.S. Education Department), our nation’s colleges need to adapt.
  By addressing all of these issues, I encourage students to (in the words of John Wooden) “be quick, but don’t hurry.” Take the classes you have to take. Study hard and succeed, but do not be afraid to indulge in some of the diverse courses offered. Don’t live in fear of the taboo fifth year. If you happen to stay longer than four years, but you acquire useful knowledge along the way, I highly doubt you will regret it.