Has America’s Melting Pot Gone Cold?

Sunday evening, Miss New York contestant, Nina Davuluri was announced as Miss America 2014. Within minutes of the announcement, a flurry of racial remarks on social media labeled her a terrorist and accused her of association with Al-Qaeda, who played a part in the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center.
A series of shocking tweets put together by buzzfeed.com revealed that few labeled her Arab, while others were disturbed that an Indian-American won Miss America because they reasoned, “This is America.”
Some were offended that Davuluri was crowned Miss America so close to the 9/11 anniversary, saying it was an insult to the victims of the terror attack.
Wendy Fraser (@wnfraser) said in a tweet, “nice slap in the face to the people of 9-11 how pathetic #missamerica.”
Colin Miller (@craymiller) tweeted, “Miss America, footlong buffalo chicken on whole wheat. Please and thank you.”
Kaleb Trahan (@Kalebistoocute) tweeted, “Man our president nor our new Miss America isn’t even American I’m sorry but Miss Kansas I salute you your the real American #MissAmerica.”
Jake Amick (@Jakeamick5) tweeted, “How the f–k does a foreigner win miss America? She is a Arab! #idiots.”
Born in Syracuse, N.Y., Duvulari is an American. Article II of the United States Constitution states in the natural-born-citizen clause, “The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term ‘natural born’ citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship ‘by birth’ or ‘at birth,’ either by being born ‘in’ the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship ‘at birth.’
Glenn Mitchell, Marine Surveyor in Mobile, Ala., said he was disgusted and ashamed of those who chose to display this ignorance and racism via social media.
“Pretty ironic when you realize that all Americans have ancestors that emigrated from somewhere else, with the exception of the Native Americans who were here long before my ancestors reached these shores. And ironically, they mistakenly called them ‘Indians,’ thinking they had reached India,” he said.
Most tweets were deleted, and the users temporarily withdrew their Twitter accounts as a result of this outburst of anger across the globe. Some also changed their Twitter handles and display pictures to avoid the outrage.
Lorelei Ford, research associate III in Mississippi State University’s  department of Basic Sciences said it saddens her that people have such hatred for others based on such superficial reasons as race, religion, ethnicity and sexual orientation.
“It’s really sad that these ‘Americans’ don’t realize that one of the things that make the U.S.A. great is our diversity. It’s a shame more people do not embrace it. Believe me, there are many more people who are happy about this than are upset,” she said.  
The U.S. is the world hegemon and also celebrates the oldest democracy in the world. The founding fathers clearly stated the principles of equality and freedom in the Constitution. These horrific racial slurs aimed at President Obama and Davuluri tell a different story.
Lawfully, it may be illegal to differentiate between black, white and brown, but the harsh reality is as a society we still do — behind closed doors and in private spaces. These tweets are only a reflection of the society we have created.
Franklin Roosevelt once said, “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.”
In response to the racist remarks, Miss America winner Davuluri said, “I have to rise above that, I always viewed myself as first and foremost American.”