Kids today: Do parental disciplinary practices correlate with the health field?

The issue of discipline remains a touchy subject among parents, medical professionals and students. The practice of discipline continues to spiral downhill because parental punishment of children is still considered next to inappropriate. We, therefore, tend to look at disciplinary practice from a negative point of view rather than trying to understand the positive, character-building intentions behind it.

Only a few years back, it was left to the parent’s discretion on how they would discipline their children. Most of the time, discipline was meant as a good intention to teach a child values and life lessons. Unfortunately, there were several extreme cases in which child protection agencies had to step in and create limits for parents. Now, there are so many laws that a parent could easily be arrested if they so much as strike their child. While these laws work well to our advantage, the result is that most parents have just stopped disciplining their children altogether — no matter how badly they behave.

A study featured in the online “Daily Mail Reporter” said, “One in four parents won’t discipline their children for fear of upsetting them.” Later the article states that more than one in three parents fear lack of discipline will lead to their children getting into trouble in the future. Though this issue is controversial and difficult, there is a growing need for attention to the matter.

There is no doubt the numerical value of behavioral issues among children and adolescents is on the rise. While it is true there are many things that factor into that, such as the unveiling of behavioral disorders by modern technology, is that really all there is to it? Many scientists have devoted their studies to this issue because, as insignificant as it may seem, it’s starting to venture from the home to make its mark in the public.

We’ve all seen children throw fits in the middle of the store, but have we thought about the impact that lack of discipline in children might have in our careers? Some careers, such as pediatric health professionals and therapists, constantly deal with the study of children. For example, it may be the occupational therapist’s job to help a little girl with fibromyalgia learn to cope with her pain in a way that will help her function in a classroom setting. If all the girl does during therapy is lie in the floor and throw a fit due to lack of discipline, however, there is nothing the therapist can do due to laws that prevent medical professionals from disciplining patients. All in all, neither she nor the therapist received anything from the session. Some places may even turn the girl away because, until she was made to participate in a session, all that comes out of the deal is a waste of insurance on the parents’ part.

Well, we know one thing. From a parental point of view, it cannot start with medical professionals, teachers or their students. Technically, it is not the therapist’s job to discipline the child, and there are plenty of laws to support this claim. So, where does it start?

A good place to start is in the home with the parents or the guardians. The laws of society have played a huge part in changing the way we think about how to discipline children. But we have slowly begun to see the effect that lack of discipline has started to have on the children within our society. So, how do we find a balance? The answer is the same as it was years ago. It’s up to the parents. If time-outs don’t work, for example, try something else and make sure the child knows what they did wrong.

Is this idea right? Well, is there any room for it not to be? Is disciplining a child to teach them a life lesson any different than a coach making a team run laps as a punishment? No. Does this mean parents have the right to abuse their rights? No, it doesn’t. Studies actually reveal that if a parent is overly strict or abusive, some children might get into more trouble. Sometimes it could come back to bite the parents later.

I felt led to write this article as something for the students of MSU to think about — not as a harsh opinion on parental methods, not as a dislike for children, but as a challenge. What career are you going into? If you will be dealing with kids in the future (whether it be working with or having them), do you think discipline would be helpful? How would you feel as a doctor if your company encouraged you to turn away children with behavioral issues because of the insurance problem? Take a good look around next time you’re out and see what you notice. Is one disciplinary practice that could instill a life lesson worth it, even though it may seem harsh at the time? The thing is, it’s up to you.