Softball completes fall exhibitions with pair of sweeps

Leon Carruba

Senior pitcher Alison Owen tosses a pitch in an exhibition game against Itawamba Community College Sunday.

Following its appearance in the 2013 NCAA Tournament, the Mississippi State University softball team wrapped up its fall exhibition season with two sweeps over the weekend. 
The Dogs swept a pair of twin bill matchups against Wallace State Community College on Saturday and against Itawamba Community College on Sunday. 
MSU defeated WSCC 8-1 in the opening game and 10-2 in the second game. The Dogs then beat ICC 7-1 in the opening game and blanked the Indians 11-0 in the second game. 
The Bulldogs also swept Shorter in a two-game series last week and won their opening exhibition game against East Mississippi Community College to start the exhibition season back on Oct. 6. 
Assistant coach Beth Mullins said the exhibition games give valuable experience to the players. 
 “These games give every single player a chance to play and see in-game action,” Mullins said. “It gives our freshmen an opportunity to get some at bats before the season starts and get their legs under them. It gives them a chance to really understand how our system works, be able to work the process and be able to fail, which is very important. You can’t succeed unless you’re failing, so it just gives them a chance to see what college softball is all about.” 
The Bulldogs lost some key players from last season in pitcher Stephanie Becker and outfielder Jessica Cooley. 
The team, however, returns a majority of its key players like ace pitcher Allison Owen, catcher Sam Lenahan, who led the team in hitting a year ago with a .327 batting average, and third baseman Logan Foulks, who led the team with 13 home runs.
Lenahan said working hard with her coaches and maintaining good technique will be key to duplicating the success she enjoyed last season. 
“One of the main things the coaches have been telling us this year is to stay on our legs. That’s something I’ve been focusing on trying to do throughout fall practices,” Lenahan said. “I just gotta keep working hard like I have been, trust in my swing and let my ability take care of itself.”  
Owen is a fifth-year senior and the best pitcher on the staff. She enjoyed a stellar 2013 season by posting a 1.98 ERA, holding opposing batters to an average of .176, pitching 198 innings and finishing with an overall record of 17-13. 
Owen acknowledged she had a good season a year ago but said she has put that behind her and now only focuses on this season.  
“I’m kind of just looking through the windshield. Last season was a great season, but I’m just looking forward to doing new things and trying new things this season,” Owen said. “I already feel like I’ve progressed so much further than where I was last season, and I’m just looking forward to this new season with this year’s team.”  
This year’s Bulldog team has six freshmen, and coaches and players seem to be excited about the potential of the new group and are satisfied with the way they have come in and worked so far. 
Mullins said the team has a great freshman class that has put in effort since day one.
“They have bought in to every single thing their teammates have asked them to do, their coaches have asked them to do, and they’re just a great group of kids,” Mullins said.  
Owen had high praise for her freshmen teammates and the work they have done so far. 
“The freshmen class are amazing athletes and amazing teammates,” Owen said. “As a group, the people that were here last year have gotten better, and collectively we’re just growing as a team.” 
Lenahan said the two new freshmen pitchers look good so far and might be able to see playing time. 
“We have two freshmen coming in, Mackenzie Toler and Alexis Silkwood, and both have done well,” Lenahan said. “Alexis has a lot of potential. She’s really eager to be out there, and when she gets things down and starts getting into what Vann (Stuedeman)  is teaching her, she will help us a lot.”