Q & A: Miss MSU

Shelby Sims
Russ Houston | Courtesy Photo
Shelby Sims

Miss MSU, Shelby Sims, is a senior political science major from Hattiesburg, Miss. She is currently the vice president of the Student Association and has been a part of the SA since serving on Freshman Forum her first year at Mississippi State University, with stints as director of Freshman Forum and SA secretary. Sims is a member of the Stennis Montgomery Association and Chi Omega sorority and is also an orientation leader.
Q: What has been your favorite part of the week being Miss MSU?
A: Obviously I’ve enjoyed every part of it because everyone’s been so encouraging and really excited for me throughout the whole process, but I’m really excited about the parade on Friday. Working with SA, I’ve been involved with the parade every year either with the Freshman Forum float or just helping out, but now me and Michael (Hogan) get to ride in our own car, and were going to make a fun CD to listen to. We’ve tried to get more people involved this year, so it should be super fun.
Q: What did it mean to you to be named Miss MSU?
A: To me, it’s just a huge honor. It’s not necessarily a position like other things I’ve run for in the past. To be nominated and chosen by the selection committee and then to be the highest vote-getter in election, I felt honored that people think so highly of me. To me, Miss MSU is someone who has diversified their experience here at Mississippi State, gotten to know the students, tried to bettered student life, and made a positive impact on campus. Being recognized in this way is an indescribable honor. 
Q: In the past four years, what has been your most memorable moment or event at MSU?
A: My most memorable and exciting night here at Mississippi State was the night I was elected SA vice president. I don’t think I’ve ever worked so hard for anything in my life than I did in those six to eight weeks during the campaign. So many people were brought in to help me and support me and believed I was qualified, so to see that all come to fruition was truly amazing. I’m not really an emotional person, and I don’t cry a lot, but I was overwhelmed. It was definitely a proud and exciting moment.
Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, all expenses paid, where would you go?
A: I would probably go to England. I’ve always wanted to go, and I never have. Most people want to go to the beach, so I’ve gone there more often, but if I could go anywhere abroad, it would be England. I’m definitely not fluent in any other languages, so it would make it easier in that sense. I love the culture over there, and there are so many landmarks I want to go see and experience. If I could go to another country, it would be England, and I would bring all my friends with me.
Q: What would your walk-out song be?
A: Chris Brown and Jordin Sparks “No Air.” It’s my favorite song of all time. It always puts me in a good mood. It’s been me and my best friends’ song for forever. We sing it for karaoke and all sorts of stuff. 
Q: Who is your celebrity crush?
A: George Clooney without a doubt. 
Q: What are your plans for after graduation and how has MSU prepared you for that?
A: After graduation, I plan on going to law school to become a lawyer. I want to work in family law and youth courts on the local level of government and possibly run for judge someday. I feel like Mississippi State has prepared me in so many different ways. In the classroom, I’ve learned a lot as a political science major about political leadership to prepare me to be a leader in the workforce, and because I love the government side, I’ve learned a lot in my classes. Outside of the classroom, however, is where I would say most of my learning has occurred. Being involved with SA, working with the Senate for two years and cabinet for three, I’ve gotten to experience first-hand the relationships, leadership, teamwork, and dedication that goes into making a successful student government. I’ve learned to work with people, manage my time better, and get over my fear of public speaking that I came to college with. A lot of small things that really add up have prepared me for my future.