Archaeology exhibit brings science out of classroom to public

Kayleigh+Sheppard
Courtesy Photo | Evan Peacock
Kayleigh Sheppard

Saturday, the Cobb Institute, Mississippi State University’s anthropology research building, hosts the annual Mississippi Archaeology Expo on the Drill Field. 
The event is usually held at Milsaps but will be moved to MSU this year. The event is supported by grants and support from the Mississippi Humanities Council, Department of Archaeology and Middle Eastern Cultures of the Cobb Institute of Archaeology and the Mississippi Archaeological Association.  The Expo is one of the biggest events during Mississippi Archaeology Month, which happens every October.
Carol Andersen, assistant director for the Mississippi Humanities Council, said the Council receives grants to re-grant to programs like archaeology month.
 “They take scholars and real field experiences out of the classroom and make them available to the public. They put it in layman’s terms,” Andersen said.
The Cobb Institute has high expectations for the event.
Evan Peacock, North Eastern Coordinator and anthropology professor at MSU, said he thinks the Expo should be held in different places each year.
“Right now we have 30 to 35 students who are helping to run around 25 stations. I am really excited that it is coming to MSU. I think this will start a trend of the Expo traveling rather than being hosted in one place every year,” Peacock said.
These stations will include displays and hands-on activities for kids and families. Kids can participate in a mock excavation or make their own rock art. There will also be a demonstration of traditional Choctaw dances.
Matt Sullivan, senior anthropology major and vice president of the Anthropology Club, said he will be working at a forensics archaeology table. 
“We will have some actual remains that we will demonstrate how we date and determine what happened to them. It should be a lot of fun. I wish I had known about this when I was in high school and community college looking to go into a program like this,” Sullivan said.
The different exhibits and activities will be located around campus.
Peacock said the museum at the Cobb will also be open, but most of the event will happen on the Drill Field. 
“One of the things that will be great is an artifact identification table. People can bring anything they have that they think may be of some archaeological value and have it evaluated by our staff,” Peacock said. “We will also have an archaeology professor from Ole Miss who will demonstrate ground penetration radar, which is a way we can look into the ground before digging. The University Press of Mississippi will also set up a book table to sell texts pertaining to anthropology and archaeology. ”
The Anthropology Club along with the Cobb Institute hope the expo will teach other people about anthropology.
Kayleigh Sheppard, anthropology student and president of the Anthropology Club, said in an email the Cobb Institute of Archaeology is excited for the chance to work such a diverse event, which will showcase many of the interesting facets of the discipline.
“I’ve been happy to help organize the student participation aspect of the Expo, recruiting the Anthropology Club to volunteer at the various booths that will be up and running on Saturday. I’m just excited to show the Starkville and Mississippi State community everything our field has to offer, and hopefully get children curious about the science involved in archaeology,” Sheppard said. 
The goal of the Expo and the month is to teach people about the discipline.
“It will be a great day to learn. I want to make it clear that though this is kid friendly,” Peacock said. “There will be plenty for adults to do. It will be a day for the whole family.”
The Expo has different events for different interests.
Tim Grider, student worker at the Cobb and junior anthropology major, said he predicts the event will be informational.
“It should be a fun time. They have been working hard on it, and though I am unable to make it, the Choctaw dancers was something I really wanted to check out,” Grider said.