FACES: Ricky Calmes’s hard work at MSU demonstrates his character

Andrew Yerger | The Reflector

Ricky Calmes, custodial supervisor at the Colvard Student Union, was promoted after starting out mopping floors.

“Out with the old and in with the new,” is certainly a phrase with which Ricky Calmes, current custodial supervisor of Mississippi State University’s Colvard Student Union, can identify.
Calmes began working fresh out of high school at the age of 21. He said he grew tired of construction work and set his sights on something bigger. Little did he know that something bigger would be his career here at MSU.
Calmes said he could not have done it alone and was assisted by one of MSU’s very own. 
“I met a guy named Roy McGhee. He’s retired now, but he helped me get started,” Calmes said.
Calmes said he remembers working at the Union before it was newly renovated.
He recalls the duties he had working at that time. 
“I started working at night. I would do set-up and I would even mop floors,” Calmes said.
Calmes’s hard work and dedication would eventually pay off for him in the form of a job promotion. MSU’s Union underwent a renovation and with that came renovated opportunities for Calmes. 
“They renovated the union building and after I was offered the supervisor position over the night staff. It felt good, real good,” Calmes said. 
Brad Hill, who currently serves as the Colvard Student Union Coordinator, said he recalls the service Calmes provided to MSU’s campus for over 20 years. 
“Ricky is a very, very hard worker. Ricky wants to make sure that everyone he works with is taken care of. Ricky is not just an employee, but a friend to all,” Hill said. 
Calmes said he finds motivation for work through his love for his children. Calmes has four children who range from 11 to 22 years in age. 
Calmes’s oldest son attends school at East Mississippi Community College. Calmes said he encourages the students he encounters here at MSU to do well in school. 
“I tell them to get the work done, get your degree and stay in school,” Calmes said. 
Randy Conley, longtime friend of Calmes, serves as the daytime custodial supervisor at MSU.
Conley has worked with Calmes for over 20 years and said he considers Calmes to be a good friend. 
“I met Ricky in the old union building. He worked nights while I worked days. Ricky is a good fella. We joke a lot, and we make the job here fun,” Conley said. 
Conley also praised Calmes for making his job easier.
“Ricky comes in on time. He always will call and let me know what’s going on. He lets me know what needs to be done the next day,” Conley said.
Calmes is no stranger to multitasking. He said his job often involves juggling multiple tasks at once. 
“I do set up, but I also may have to clean up the bathrooms or sometimes the ballroom for special events,” Calmes said.
When asked what words he lived by, Calmes leaned back in his chair and laughed. 
“I always say God is good at all times, and I live by that,” Calmes said. 
Calmes said he is optimistic about his job here at MSU and greets each day with a challenging spirit.