Former Bulldogs shine in the NFL

With the addition of four new Bulldogs in the NFL this season, there are now 15 former Mississippi State University players in the league this year. 
Of the four rookies, Darius Slay, Johnthan Banks and Josh Boyd were drafted in the 2013 NFL draft this past April, and Cameron Lawrence was picked up as an undrafted free agent. Slay was picked first at the top of the second round and 36th overall to the Detroit Lions, and Banks was selected in the same round shortly after that 43rd overall to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. 
Boyd was picked in the fifth round and 167th overall, and Lawrence was picked up by the Dallas Cowboys and was just recently promoted from the practice squad to the 53 man roster where he got to play in his first game Sunday against the Redskins. 
Slay and Banks are both currently starting at cornerback for their teams, and Boyd and Lawrence see game time in reserve roles.  Banks has 15 tackles and one interception so far in five games, and Slay has 16 tackles and no interceptions so far in six games. 
Injuries have plagued a couple of the more experienced Bulldogs in the NFL. Third-year tackle of the Green Bay Packers Derek Sherrod came into the year on the Pysically Unable to Perform list for the second straight season and still has not played since December of 2011 due to a broken leg. What makes the injury even more devastating for Sherrod is that the Packers’ starting left tackle Bryan Bulaga is out for the season, so it would have been an excellent opportunity for Sherrod to step in and showcase his talent. 
Second-year running back Vick Ballard of the Indianapolis Colts also suffered a devastating injury. His season was over due to a torn ACL after playing in only one game. Ballard was the number two running back on the depth chart when he went down and was projected to see plenty of action this season splitting carries with Ahmad Bradshaw. 
Of the veteran MSU players in the NFL, there are four starters. Third-year linebacker K.J. Wright has been a valuable player for the Seattle Seahawks. He had a good season a year ago, establishing himself as one of the better young linebackers in the league — piling up 98 total tackles in 15 games. This season, he has been playing well again. He has 34 total tackles and Seattle is only allowing 15.7 points per game, which is third best in the NFL. 
Fletcher Cox has settled in as a starting defensive end in the Philadelphia Eagles’ new 3-4 defense. He was one of the best rookies in the NFL in 2012, recording 5.5 sacks, and he is on pace to get close to that mark again with two sacks so far in six games. 
David Stewart is the starting right tackle for the Tennessee Titans. He is in his ninth season and has been a starter for the Titans since 2006. 
Defensive tackle Tommy Kelly is the oldest Bulldog in the NFL. He is currently in his 10th season and is having a good season starting for the New England Patriots. He currently has 2.5 sacks and 22 total tackles in five games this season. 
The other five MSU players in the NFL are Jamar Chaney, Anthony Dixon, Antonio Johnson, Pernell McPhee and Chris White. They all play reserve roles for their teams. 
Chaney is a fourth-year linebacker for the Falcons. He has collected 24 tackles this season. 
Dixon is a fourth-year running back for the 49ers. He has 25 rushing yards and two touchdowns this season. 
Johnson has two sacks and 10 tackles as he is in his seventh season as a defensive tackle  for the Tennessee Titans. 
McPhee is a third-year outside linebacker for the Ravens. He has 10 tackles and a sack so far this season. 
White has collected three tackles in his third year at linebacker for the New England Patriots.