Provocative Hardee’s burger advertisement shocks fans

Screenshot from Hardee’s.com

Katherine Webb appears in a Hardee’s commercial promoting a cheeseburger. The controversial advertisement played during last Saturday’s football game.

“Oh, hello,” Tony Garcia, a Mississippi State University graduate student, said as he stared at a Hardee’s commercial in which Katherine Webb seductively ate a buffalo blue cheeseburger at the MSU home game against LSU.
“I was not used to seeing that type of ad at an MSU home game,” Garcia said. “It definitely caught people’s attention. I personally had no problem with it, but I could understand why some people would take it offensively due to the provocative nature of the way she ate the burger.”
Duncan McKenzie, executive associate athletic director, said MSU apologizes for the presentation of the commercial at Davis Wade Stadium. 
“Our goal is to create great experiences, and that commercial is not consistent with the family atmosphere we are trying to create,” McKenzie said. “You have our assurance that it won’t be shown again, and that our staff will do a better job of screening video board content.”
General manager of Bulldog Sports Properties Don Williams said the ad continues to get widespread play on national television.
“In retrospect, we might have given more thought as to whether MSU football was the right venue for this ad,” Williams said. “It was never intended to run more than once, and we have filed it away as a reminder to be more thoughtful in the future about what will air.”
Sophomore elementary education major Mallory Self said the commercial made her feel uncomfortable at the game.
“If I had little kids at the game, I would not have them watch that ad,” Self said. 
“The commercial was unnecessary for a family game, and the atmosphere and had little to do with advertisement of the food. It really appealed to the attraction of men,” Self said.
Warn Wilson, junior electrical engineering major, said he did not find the commercial offensive in any way.
“I would definitely want to try that buffalo cheeseburger,” Wilson said, as he chuckled of laughter. “It was funny to see her be so attracted to a burger, but I don’t see what the problem is. It’s the same thing that beer and cigarette companies do, which is use attraction to sell products.”
According to Cody Roman, a senior sports studies major, this is not the first time a commercial of such sexual nature was presented at an MSU home game.
“A couple years ago, they played a Paris Hilton commercial in which she sat on top of a vehicle and washed it while seductively eating a burger,” Roman said. 
“I felt that ad was more vulgar than this Hardee’s commercial,” Roman said.