Romance novel gives feminism cold shoulder?

What’s your favorite genre: mystery, thiller, science fiction or romance? I have noticed that many people are afraid to pipe up and say romance, especially women.
  It has become popular opinion that the romance novel has  many qualities that degrade women. I do not know what authors people with these opinions read, but clearly they do not read the right ones.
   When romance started to emerge as a genre, men were the authors. They only wrote on subjects they felt were important to women. Eventually, women authors entered into the genre and it started to morph into what we know it as today. Back then women were portrayed as the ‘stay at home and cook, clean and raise children’ type, but as society matures and feminism grows, the roles women are written into become more acceptable.
   Cynthia, a writer for aromancereview.com, wrote an article titled “The Social Significance of the Romance Novel,” which highlights the negative stigma that still surrounds the romance novel.
  “Negative perceptions of the romance novel persist to this day, but it now comes more from feminist critics than male. Claims that this type of fiction reinforces sentimental traditional roles for women in society are common coming from feminists. Accusations assert that romance novels are anti-feminist and promote the idea that a woman’s fulfillment can only come from her roles as wife, mother and housekeeper. It is obvious to me that the negative opinion of Renaissance critics has affected modern opinions on the romance novel,” Cynthia writes.  
     I have read books in this genre since middle school, and they have never given me this impression. If anything, I have drawn the exact opposite from these books. They’ve taught me how to be independent and fight for what I want, which is what feminism is all about. If I want a career instead of being a stay-at-home mom, then I know I can, but that is what is important. I have the ability to decide this for myself, just like every other woman in today’s society.
    Feminism is the advocacy of women’s rights on the grounds of political, social and economic equality to men. Today’s romance novel shows women in positions of power: CEOs, lawyers, troops, doctors, and yes, stay-at-home moms. Since when has being a stay-at-home mom become something to look down upon anyway?
   Also, something that is often overlooked is the romance novel today incorporates many other genres into the mix as well. More often than not, the romance novel reads as equal parts thrill and mystery which adds to its appeal. Even popular science fiction books these days incorporate romance. (The “Twilight” saga is ever so popular.)
  Nicolas Sparks is a popular romance writer. Many of his works have been turned into well-received movies as well (“The Notebook,” “The Last Song” and “Dear John”).
    Best-selling author Nora Roberts once wrote there is nothing she finds more fascinating to write about than the relationship between men and women. She goes on to add that it’s given her tremendous pleasure to mix and match strong men and strong women and to see them discover their own hearts and fall in love.
    Roberts, to me, is one of the greats. She has had countless novels go No. 1 on the New York Times Bestsellers List. Many of those novels have been made into movies. I happen to agree with her that romance is timeless. Romance should be seen as a love story, not as anti-feminism designed to show us what women should not do or be.