Breast cancer event raises awareness

Juleigh Baker | Courtesy Photo

The Department of Health Education and Wellness hosts a breast cancer awareness event aiming to help teach young people more about early detection. 

On Wednesday, the Department of Health Education and Wellness will host a breast cancer awareness event from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on the Drill Field.
Mississippi State University students are asked to wear pink to support Breast Cancer Awareness. Students will be educated on early detection of breast cancer.
Joyce Yates, director of Health Education and Wellness said she believes breast cancer is an important issue to discuss. 
“The Department of Health Education and Wellness partners with various entities and student organizations to promote health awareness and disease prevention topics.” Yates said. 
JuLeigh Baker, the Health and Wellness educator in charge of the event, said in an email interview, the Department of Health Education and Wellness started planning this event early in the year and benefits from the help of many volunteers. 
“The Department of Health Education and Wellness planned events for the fall semester in July. There will be staff members, graduate assistants, Health Service Volunteers and several members from Zeta Tau Alpha sorority that are co-sponsoring for the event and will help in shifts.” Baker said.
Baker said though there are not anymore large events for breast cancer awareness planned at this time, the department of Health Education and Wellness will speak at smaller events. 
“This is the only large event that the Department of Health Education and Wellness has planned for breast cancer at the moment, but they will be speaking to groups that have requested a speaker about breast cancer awareness and hosting a few informational displays around campus,” Baker said.
Baker, the Health and Wellness Educator in charge of the event said even though few young people are diagnosed with breast cancer, it is important to perform breast self-exams because early detection of breast cancer is important for survival. 
“Only a small percentage of young people develop breast cancer. But young people need to learn how to perform proper breast self-exams (BSE) and perform them on a regular basis. This will allow them to be aware of any changes or lumps in their breast as soon as it happens,” she said. “The key to survival of breast cancer is early detection. Performing regular and correct BSE is the best way for young people to detect changes…There will be breast models at the Breast Cancer Awareness event to allow people to feel what a lump in a breast will feel like when they perform a breast self-exam.”
Laura Hinton, a graduate assistant who works on initiatives addressing breast cancer awareness, discussed her favorite part of working on this event.
“Figuring out the best way to communicate and get the word out about breast cancer to college students,” Hinton said. 
According to the American Cancer Society, in 2013, 232,340 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer, and 39,620 women will die from breast cancer. 
Women are not the only people at risk of developing breast cancer. According to the American Cancer Society, approximately 2,240 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed among men in 2013, and about 410 men will die from breast cancer.