Lady Dogs cruise in exhibition, ready for season opener on road at Houston

In its preseason debut, the Mississippi State University women’s basketball team was victorious in their first action of the season blowing out Shorter University 75-44. Like the men’s team, the Lady Dogs too struggled a bit in their opening exhibition game last season, only winning by six points. This season the Lady Bulldogs flipped the script and won in blowout fashion. The Bulldogs seemed like a different team than the one from a year ago. They seemed more focused, more comfortable and more confident. 
Head coach Vic Schaefer said the game was a good measuring tool for his team at this time. 
“It was good to play against somebody besides our men’s practice team or ourselves,” Schaefer said. “I was definitely pleased with only allowing 22 points in each half.” 
Defense is always a key focus for Schaefer, who is considered one of the best defensive coaches in the women’s game and was brought to MSU in large part because of his pedigree in that area. His defense was on full display in the scrimmage as his attacking high-pressure defensive scheme bothered the Hawks all night. MSU held Shorter to 25 percent shooting. The Hawks were only able to hit 12 of their 49 shot attempts.
A major factor for MSU defensively in the game, as well as moving forward for the Lady Bulldogs this season, is newcomer Savannah Carter. Carter is a junior who was a highly-sought-after J.U.C.O. prospect and a key contributor for Trinity Valley Community College, helping lead them to a NJCAA national title. Carter is expected to come in and play point guard right away which will allow Katia May to slide over to shooting guard where Schaefer believes she will be more effective. 
Carter said Schaefer played a huge role in her decision to come to MSU. 
“During my recruitment, a lot of assistant coaches came to see me play, but coach Schaefer was the only head coach that came to see me play and you never see that,” Carter said.  “I’m extremely excited about being here, and I feel like it’s going to be a great season.”
Another newcomer that really stood out in the scrimmage was freshman Breanna Richardson. She led the Bulldogs in scoring with 16 points and five steals. Richardson is a true freshman but seemed poised and under control throughout the night despite it being her first in-game action at the college level. 
Richardson said she can provide an immediate impact this season for the Bulldogs. 
“We are going to go fast. I know that is what the coaches brought me in here to do,” Richardson said. “I am supposed to provide a spark and hopefully that will rub off on some of the other players. Anytime we are down, there is someone here that is going to push us to keep going and to keep doing things the right way.”
Schaefer said he expects his freshman to play a key role on this year’s team, and so far it looks like they may be able to. 
“She (Richardson) looked poised out there and that’s what you want from your freshmen,” Schaefer said. “I hope all my freshmen are comfortable because they’re gonna play. I don’t have time for them to grow up. Tonight was it. I hope they grew up because we have to be ready to play Friday at Houston, and I think they will be.”  
The Bulldogs’ game Friday against Houston will be the official season opener. The game will be in Houston and will start at 5:30 p.m. The Dogs opened their season a year ago against the Cougars as well and came out on top 72-66.