Coffee: the good, the bad and the caffeinated

As each day starts, hundreds of students clutch a coffee cup in one hand as they drag their feet to class. As the first class of the day ends, many shake their zombie-like trances, as others rush to the Colvard Student Union or Mitchell Memorial Library for another cup of liquefied energy.
   A recent survey found that 18 to 24 year olds often turn to coffee instead of sodas or other caffeinated drinks for a quick boost of energy.
    Though it is no surprise that college students grasp at any form of energy just as germaphobes grasp at antibacterial soap, the benefits and drawbacks of regular caffeine consumption could shock you.
  We all know the standard disadvantages of caffeine consumption include lack of sleep. That’s the whole reason we drink it, right? But that decision to drink six cups of coffee at 3 a.m. so you can finish your paper could have you rushing to the hospital.
   Though it is atypical to overdose on caffeine, American University professor Laura Juliano states that more than 250 milligrams of caffeine a day is not good (npr.org). In fact, it could trigger symptoms such as an upset stomach, fever or rapid heartbeat.
   On the other hand, studies have shown coffee lowers the risk of many health problems. According to the Institute for Scientific Information on Coffee, coffee blocks a substance in the body that could play a role in the development of Type 2 diabetes. Other findings include the notions that coffee is good for your skin and decreases your chance of developing Alzheimer’s or dementia later in life.
   So, how are we as college students supposed to combat sleep and take care of ourselves at the same time?  Go easy on the coffee.
   I know many of you scoff at that statement, and others wonder if I have any idea how hard that would be. I promise, I’m on your side. I too wake up every morning dreading the time it will take my cup (or three) to kick in.
   Limit yourself to three cups a day. When you need an afternoon pick-me-up, reach for an apple. Yes, an apple. Apples contain about 13 grams of natural sugar, so they wake you up just as effectively as caffeine does. Strange, I know.
   Also, keep a bar of dark chocolate on you. Dark chocolate does contain caffeine, but it’s also a heart-healthy option. You’re less likely to get that rapid heartbeat from a piece of chocolate. Plus, how could you say no to chocolate?
  If you just absolutely feel the need to drink your energy, stay away from the energy drinks. Alternate between coffee and hot teas. Hot tea doesn’t contain quite as much caffeine as coffee, but it does have enough to boost your mood and keep you alert and focused in class.
   Call me cliché, but the best way to keep your focus is to get a full night’s sleep. Even if you don’t have time to sleep for eight hours, try to fit a two-hour nap into your all-nighter. You’ll feel much better, stay focused longer and appreciate the next morning’s coffee more.