Borchert shines in exhibition

Basketball
Basketball

The Mississippi State University men’s basketball team saw its first action of the season on Sunday as it opened the schedule against Auburn-Montgomery in an exhibition game. The Bulldogs were victorious pulling out the win in blowout fashion by a margin of 86-57. Last season was a season of ups and downs, with far more of the latter. It was a season filled with injuries, suspensions and inexperience. Albeit one game against a vastly inferior opponent, the fact the team dominated and did what is was supposed to do might just be a sign the team is taking the necessary steps to move in the right direction. 
Head coach Rick Ray said the exhibition game was valuable because it allowed the team to compete against an actual opponent. 
“It was good for our guys to get out and play some different competition,” Ray said. “They’ve been beating up on each other in practice now for quite some time, so it was good to see some new competition.” 
Exhibition games are important at this point in the season, not just because it allows a coach to get a look at his team against outside competition, but it also allows new players to get some real in-game action. With MSU, this is especially valuable due to all the injuries the team had last season. Not only was this exhibition game good for freshmen like I.J. Ready and Dallas Prater, but it was also important for redshirt freshman Andre Applewhite, who missed all of last season with a knee injury. Applewhite had 12 points, four rebounds, three assists, a pair of blocks and one steal. Applewhite did a little of everything in 19 minutes off the bench, contributing in all major statistical categories and playing multiple positions both on the wing and inside.
Senior Colin Borchert said Applewhite’s game brings versatility to the team. 
“The main thing about Dre (Applewhite) is that he’s so physically strong that he can go down there and bang with the big boys,” Borchert said. “In practice he’s playing the four with us. He’s able to spread the floor and play outside the key and play inside the paint because he’s so strong.” 
Borchert was the star of the game for the Dogs. He scored 23 points to lead the team in scoring and did it on 8-of-9 shooting from the field. He had his jump shot going early as he was getting it done from mid-range and three-point range. Perhaps the biggest stat of all for Borchert was his three blocks. Borchert will have to play more time inside this season with the lack of big men on the roster, and the team will need him to use his length on defense to alter and block shots. 
Sophomore Craig Sword also played well as he was one of the second-leading scorers with 12 points. He led the team in attempted field goals with 10, and most of his scores came on drives to the basket. 
Sword said his approach on offense translated to drills the team worked on in practice. 
“We’ve been working on finishing around the rim all week in practice,” Sword said. “They gave me the baseline, so I just took it.” 
Sword will be a key player for the Bulldogs this season. Last year, due to injuries, he was forced to play a lot of point guard, although he is more naturally a shooting guard. This season with Ready in the mix and Jacoby Davis also scheduled to return to action, Sword will be able to focus all of his time playing the off-guard spot, where he can constantly be more aggressive trying to create offense. 
The Bulldogs officially open their season Friday against Prairie View A&M. The game starts at 7 p.m. at Humphrey Coliseum.