Campus takes steps to conserve energy

Mississippi State University has teamed up with SmartWatt Energy to install an energy-efficient lighting system that began Oct. 14 in Mitchell Memorial Library.
SmartWatt Energy is an energy-efficiency firm that contracts directly with utilities to manage energy efficiency programs. According to SmartWatt Inc., the goal is to provide large-scale savings through energy auditing, engineering, project management and installation services.
J.D. Hardy, associate director of utilities in MSU’s campus services organization, said the lighting upgrade is only a fragment of a campus-wide lighting upgrade project, expected to save about 3.9 million kilowatt hours per year in energy cost savings.
“Within the past seven or more years, MSU’s focus on energy conservation has included projects and initiatives that will save the university money and improve environmental impact,” Hardy said. “We are only in phase one of this lighting project that, in the long run, will impact about one million square feet of campus.”
Frances Coleman, dean of libraries, said the lighting project will better accommodate study areas for students in the library.
“We are very appreciative of the university for putting us at the beginning of this lighting project,” Coleman said. “If there is anything that we can ever do within the lines of helping the students, we definitely want to make sure that we partake.”
Hardy said Mitchell Memorial Library is only one of eight large buildings on campus that receives the lighting upgrade.
“We are really moving forward with the MSU sustainability policy,” he said. “This document was adopted in early 2011 that guides design, control and renovation of buildings to make sure MSU is exceeding efficient energy codes.”
Stephen Cunetto, administrator of systems in Mitchell Memorial Library, said differences between the old and new lighting prevail in the work that has been completed so far; the old lighting appears yellow and dim and the new lighting white and brighter.
“Over the years we have had complaints about low lighting throughout the library,” Cunetto said. “We are very excited about the opportunity for the new lighting model. This is a long-term project for us in position to the students, and we hope that they bear with us and be happy with the long-term results.”
Construction is mainly held from midnight until 8 a.m., to reduce conflict with work hours throughout the day. Mitchell Memorial Library’s lighting upgrade project is scheduled to be completed Dec. 16.