Bulldogs seek to grab second SEC win

Anthony McDougle breaks down last weekend’s SEC bouts as well as previews things to know heading into week 10 of the college football season.
    What We Learned 
    1. Johnny keeps being Johnny
    After an upset loss against Auburn in the previous week, the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner was seen sporting a sling due to a shoulder injury. Apparently, the injury was not as bad as we thought. At the onset of Texas A&M’s game versus Vanderbilt it was indeed “Johnny Football” under center. He proceeded to complete 25 of 35 passes for 305 yards in less than three quarters of play. It looks like it will take more than a sling to stop this Heisman hopeful.
    2. In Shaw We Trust
    South Carolina is a completely different team when Connor Shaw is at the helm.  Don’t believe it? The Gamecocks were down 17-0 before Shaw entered the game in the third quarter. Shaw went on to conduct three scoring drives in the fourth quarter on 20 of 29 passes for 201 yards and three touchdowns. South Carolina won the game in double overtime. The numbers don’t lie.
    3. Don’t disrespect Bama
    Before its matchup against top-ranked Alabama, Tennessee’s head football coach Butch Jones thought it would be smart to label the two-time defending national champion Crimson Tide as simply “the red team.” Bad move, coach. The Crimson Tide used that as motivation and went on to dismantle the Volunteers 45-10 in a game that was over in the first quarter. Jones may want to reevaluate his motivational tactics in future games against “the red team.”
    4. Bulldogs pick up first SEC win
    After dropping its first two games in SEC competition, Mississippi State defeated Kentucky last Thursday at Davis Wade Stadium. Dak Prescott had yet another great all around performance, completing a career-high 23 of 34 passes for 268 yards. He also caught a 17-yard touchdown pass and rushed for 33 yards. Jameon Lewis had a memorable night as well, reaching the end zone on a rush, a reception and throwing the aforementioned touchdown pass to Prescott. 
    What to Look Forward To
    1. Georgia vs. Florida
    Georgia and Florida have been, to say the least, a disappointment this year.  After coming into the season ranked in the top 10, both teams have gone 4-3 thus far.  Keeping that in mind, let’s not forget this is still one of the biggest rivalries college football has to offer. The return of star Georgia running back Todd Gurley should make “The World’s Largest Cocktail Party” a little more exciting to watch, despite the lackluster performances of both teams this year.
    2. Can Missouri bounce back?
    After a heartbreaking double-overtime loss to South Carolina last week, Missouri hopes to have a short memory when it faces Tennessee Saturday. Despite the loss, Missouri is still at the top of the SEC East but needs to win out in order to reach the SEC Championship in Atlanta. The Vols enter the tilt coming off of a 45-10 loss to the top-ranked Crimson Tide.
    3. Bulldogs look to continue their winning ways 
    After earning their first conference win against SEC foe Kentucky, the Bulldogs head to Columbia to take on South Carolina.  The Gamecocks are coming off a double-overtime win at Missouri with a ton of confidence and hopes of keeping their SEC East division title aspirations alive. The Dogs hope to contain standout defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and spoil the Gamecocks hope of competing for the SEC title.