BIS program celebrates 50th anniversary Friday

The Business Information Systems (BIS) program in Mississippi State University’s College of Business will honor 50 years of success this fall. The celebration will be Friday at 4 p.m. in Taylor Auditorium in McCool Hall.
Krysten Lee, a senior BIS major and BIS club member, said the scientific background gained from BIS training can be seen in most technological tools people use today.
“Mississippi State University’s Business Information Systems program was the first information systems program in an accredited college of business in the world,” Lee said. “It was originally created in 1963 by Charles Moore, who led the way for the 1,803 who have become a part of the program throughout the years.”
There will be an abundance of knowledgeable speakers at the event. In attendance will be Sharon Oswald, dean of the College of Business, provost Jerry Gilbert, executive director of Mississippi Information Technology Craig Orgeron, several alumni and other established members. Charles Moore, the founder of the program, will be in attendance as well.
Kent Marett, associate professor of information systems and faculty adviser for the BIS Club, said the BIS Club has not only been helpful prior to the celebration, but will also be invaluable at the event. 
“The day of the event the BIS club will be helping with registration and making name tags. Basically, they just make everyone feel welcome. I hope they also have the opportunity to meet and greet with the important figures there,” he said.
The BIS Club currently has about 25 members and is open to any students interested as the school year progresses. The club has been going for about three years, but many people know about them. Anyone that is a BIS major or interested in becoming a BIS major is advised to consider joining BIS Club.
A BIS major at MSU can expect to be prepared for a career in information technology and working in a corporate environment. This major allows students to extensively explore both computers and business. More commonly than not, BIS graduates begin their careers as a computer programmer, then as their skills develop, they become a systems analyst, database administrator or management position.
Marett said the purpose of the event is to celebrate how far the BIS program has come and promote the bettering of the program as the years continue. It stands to encourage all students that have a passion for technology and business. Each speaker can share a piece of their experiences and knowledge to inspire current and future BIS majors.
Marett said he is eager to hear from every speaker, but one stands out in particular.
“I am most excited about hearing Charles Moore. Imagine what courage and charisma Moore must have had to talk Mississippi State into starting a program that no one else had. I can’t wait to hear the story behind the beginnings,” he said.
While other schools have management information systems (MIS) or computer information systems (CIS), MSU respects the “B” in BIS. MSU focuses on fully educating the many aspects of computers, management, and business.
Rodney Pearson, professor of information systems, said he likes the “B” in BIS much better.
“We have had BIS before MIS even existed. We don’t support just management or just computers. We educate our students on the workings of business as a whole,” Pearson said. “That is what the audience should see at our celebration.”