Needtobreathe fans can breathe easy: soulful rock band returns Wednesday

Mississippi State University students and Starkvillians can see Needtobreathe perform in Starkville on concrete floors instead of dusty, horse-trodden ground Wednesday.

Needtobreathe, a band that has toured with the likes of Taylor Swift and Train, returns to Starkville to play at Rick’s Café Wednesday at 9:30 p.m. Doors open at 7:30 p.m, and the Wild Feathers kick things off at 8:30 p.m. 

The band, best known for its soulful Christian singles, has appeared on Billboard’s Top 200 chart as well as iTunes rock charts. Needtobreathe’s fourth album, “The Reckoning,” was No. 1 on both Billboard’s Rock and Christian Album Charts, and the album debuted at No. 6 on Billboard’s Top 200 Chart.

The band previously performed in Starkville at the Mississippi Horse Park through a production put on by MSU’s Music Maker Productions in 2011. 

Rick Welch, owner of Rick’s, said Needtobreathe found the city delightful the last time it performed in Starkville, and its members contacted him seeking the opportunity to play again in Starkville. 

“I think they really enjoyed the last time they played in Starkville at the horse park,” he said. “Props go out to MSU Music Makers for doing such a great job with that show because I think that’s the reason they wanted to come back to Starkville and contacted me about returning.”

Welch said the band currently tours to give fans a taste of its upcoming album.

“Needtobreathe is releasing their new album early in 2014, and this tour is about doing a preview of their new album for their fans in smaller, more intimate settings,” he said.

Needtobreathe’s members Bear Rinehart, Bo Rinehart and Seth Bolt speak excitedly about the release of their yet-unnamed fifth album sometime during winter 2013-2014. 

In a May 2013 “Billboard” magazine article, frontman Rinehart said the band’s new album is distinct from the band’s last release, “The Reckoning.”

“‘The Reckoning’ was a pretty dark record, in my opinion. I think this one’s a little more hopeful, a little more about having fun. It doesn’t have the same tension, which I think is a good thing,” Rinehart said. “I think the band is in a little more secure place. There’s still plenty of drama going on, but it’s really eased up a lot. I think we’ve grown up a lot in the last couple of years and have gotten more on the same page about things. That’s definitely having an impact on (the songs).”

Though the band tours to support its new album, Welch said the band also pays its success forward, as a portion of the proceeds will go to the band’s charity of choice.

“Tickets are selling well for the show, so I would encourage everyone that hasn’t purchased a ticket yet to do so,” he said. “$1 from each ticket is being donated to Needtobreathe’s charity interest, The Palmetto Medical Initiative.  I think that says a lot for the band, and I’m proud to be a part of that.”

Welch said the much-anticipated performance will quite possibly sell out and urges interested listeners to purchase tickets to the concert in advance.

“It’s very possible that this show will sell out, and buying a ticket in advance will not only save a little money but will ensure that they won’t be turned away,” he said.