Sanderson Center celebrates Strength and Fitness week through competitions

The Department of Recreational Sports at Mississippi State University holds the fourth Annual Strength and Fitness Week Monday through Thursday, giving students a shot at prizes, bragging rights and ultimately the chance to be crowned Mr. or Mrs. Fit MSU.
The events will be held at the Joe Frank Sanderson Center. Members and non-members of the Sanderson are encouraged to register at the Sanderson, though there will be a small fee for non members. The event welcomes those who want to compete and spectators. The week kicked off Monday with the dead lift competition and is followed by squats on Tuesday and bench press on Thursday, both at 6 p.m. The other event is the obstacle course, which starts at 3:45 p.m. on Thursday. 
Participants will be divided into a women’s class and a men’s class and given a few chances to attempt a one-rep max. They will be scored on a weight differential. Prizes and awards given for each individual event are open for everyone, but the students with the highest combined score will be crowned MSU Strongman and Strongwoman. Cameron Webb, senior kinesiology major, was crowned last year’s Strongman, and he said he hopes to defend his title this year.
“It is really fun to come compete and see how your max stacks up against other peoples.” Webb said.
Students who compete well in the weight lifting portion and also participate in the Turkey Trot 5K Saturday will  have a shot at being crowned Mr. and Mrs. Fit MSU.
The Department of Recreational Sports has hosted a bench press competition for almost 13 years but added the other events and tied in with the Turkey Trot more recently to broaden the appeal. Jason Townsend, associate director of Recreational Sports, is in charge of many of the logistics for the day and said he likes the direction the event is growing. He said the local sponsors like Big Deal Supplements, and adding a class for women has expanded the event.
“We want this week to be educational and fun for everyone. That’s why we open it to members of not only the student body, but the faculty and community as well. The ball’s really rolling,” Townsend said.
While many participants do not train specifically for the event, Webb said they like the added competition it gives a normal workout.
“Man, it’s just cool to see some of your classmates and other Sanderson regulars compete in a little friendly competition. I am glad to see this event grow,” Webb said.
Even students who are not competing can feel the energy around this time. McKinnon Ray, junior biochemistry major, uses the Sanderson to stay in shape. He said the change in pace helps him stay focused on his own workout and pushes him a little further every time.
“I don’t compete but the energy in the gym around this time really gets you jazzed. I’m excited there is an event that gets the community involved in fitness,” Ray said.