Kerry faces challenges filling Clinton’s shoes

Hillary Rodham Clinton, a woman who once fiercely fought against President Barack Obama for the presidency of the United States, stepped down as his colleague and secretary of state last week, ending a career spanning 31 years in public service.
Clinton’s last year as secretary of state has been vociferous. She found herself dealing with the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that led to the death of the U.S. ambassador Chris Stevens, which was followed by a personal illness and then the suicide bomber’s attack in the Turkish capital of Ankara on the last day of her secretariat.
John Kerry, presidential nominee of 2004 and chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee succeeded as the new secretary of state in the wake of enormous challenges to deal with as the new top diplomat of the world hegemon.
The political turmoil in Egypt and the quest for building peace-process, ending the war in Afghanistan by 2014, strengthening diplomatic relationships in the Middle East and gauging the economic crises lying ahead are some of the major challenges he will be expected to excel. 
Kerry’s seamless transition will include spearheading the process of global peace engagement initiated effectively by his predecessor.
President Obama in his final term as the president of the U.S. will be looking forward to leave a positive legacy of his administration in world politics for which Kerry will have to play a key role. Foreign policy was a hot topic in the recent presidential elections; voters from both parties agreed the threat from nations equipped with weapons of mass destruction should be firmly dealt with and U.S. ambassadors in various parts of the world need to feel safe and secure.
Skepticism continues to lie over Syria; whom should the United States support in the civil war? Should the U.S. intervene? Will it be military engagement or not? What will be at stake? Are there Russian-led forces involved? These are some serious questions the Obama administration currently faces. Kerry will be expected to carry forward the positive bilateral ties with most of the southeast Asian countries and Israel.
India continues to be a strong ally of the U.S. The Obama administration has been attentive to Pakistan’s priorities, as well, keeping in mind the on-going conflict in Afghanistan.
In a larger picture, the U.S. will be keen to maintain its hegemony status. The defense budget of the U.S. overpowers any and is the greatest in the world but there are also other concerns.
Many political analysts and experts ask, “Will the U.S. continue to be a hegemon in world politics?”
An unprecedented military power, premier innovation in information technology, the geographical placement and a strong economy will give you a positive response, but on the other side of the domestic politics grid-lock, a rising European Union and the high costs of staying a hegemon are a few points that may raise skepticism.
Kerry will need to assure developing countries of the solvency resolve and commitment of international organizations intended to foster growth.
Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa have come together to form a unique BRICS alliance to be independent from financial dependency and promote industrialized growth among them.
Kerry will take charge in completely different conditions than in 2009. Challenges will include achieving world peace with the involvement of most countries on the discussion forum.
The major complex issue in an international system is there is no presence of a world government because of individual sovereignty.
With there being no presence of deterrence or law enforcement forces to act in an international system, a rather tedious a task for diplomats and representatives lies ahead engaging with other countries.
John Kerry has his plate full of issues which will need effective execution in the days to come. The Obama administration will be rather pleased if he is proven to be an effective diplomat at present, if not a presidential nominee in the past.