Oscars Face-Off: Which film deserves Best Picture

“Argo” – Zack Orsborn
When I set out on the colossal journey of watching every Best-Picture-nominated film with a bag of Doritos by my side, I expected every film to make my senses heighten and to contain a plot that charmed me in some magical, plot-twisty way. While most plots charmed the Doritos off the bed (“Silver Linings Playbook,” “Life of Pi,” “Django Unchained,” “Les Mis”), others lacked excitement and suspense, while some had me nodding off (“Lincoln”). Compared to other eight films in the category, “Argo,” a drama centered on the real event of the CIA rescue of American hostages in Tehran, encompasses the “perfect movie:” raw emotions, phenomenal acting, fast-paced story line, occasional comedic relief and Ben Affleck’s gorgeous beard. Hope is lost as CIA agents fail to issue a plan of action to rescue to hostages until Tony Mendez (Affleck) decides to create a fake movie production company developing a sci-fi fantasy film in which the hostages portray members of the company. The storyline really kicks in as the hostages try to escape without being identified. I had, like, seven heart attacks because of the constant build up of suspense. With 28 awards already under its belt, “Argo” deserves at least one more for capturing suspense, Hollywood, conflict and America in such a brilliant way.

“Lincoln” – Emma Crawford
Steven Spielberg’s “Lincoln” tells the story of 16th president Abraham Lincoln’s quest to end the Civil War with the passing of the 13th amendment to abolish slavery. While the plot revolves around the politics of the war and Lincoln and Secretary of State William Steward’s strategic plot to pull off a majority vote in the House of Representatives, the film’s development of its characters make it Best Picture worthy. Daniel Day Lewis is absolutely mesmerizing and portrays Lincoln’s wit, intelligence and political genius all the while keeping him down to earth. The film shows Lincoln was a grieving father, grieving American, a man weighted with the task of reuniting our country and a man who was determined to persevere. Besides Day Lewis, Sally Field played a fantastic and semi-insane Mary Todd Lincoln, and Tommy Lee Jones almost stole the show with his genius portrayal of Thaddeus Stevens. “Lincoln” is everything a film should be. I laughed, I cried, I was proud to be American. I was struck by all of the emotions at some point or another and I learned that Lincoln was a great man, not because he was perfectly moral, but because he made the compromises necessary to achieve a greater goal – piecing our broken country back together.

“Les Miserables” – Mary Chase Breedlove
“Les Miserables” deserves the Academy Award for Best Picture for more reasons than Anne Hathaway.
Tom Hooper took a risk by having the actors sing live on set. Doing this showcased the talent of the actors, as well as helped cast the vision of fragility, passion and the human experience of the story. “Les Miserables” took risks, and it should be rewarded for doing so.
I also think it’s time for a musical to take home an Oscar. A musical hasn’t won Best Picture since “Chicago” in 2002. With well over 2,500 performances on Broadway and years of world-tours, “Les Miserables” earned its place among the best musicals of all time.
If “Les Miserables” came out in a year without the competition of films like “Argo” or “Lincoln,” I think it would win Best Picture in a heartbeat.  But with so many fantastic films in the mix, we’ll just have to wait and see.

“Beasts of Southern Wild” – Casey Smith
“The whole universe depends on everything fitting together just right. If one piece busts, even the smallest piece, the whole universe will get busted,” Hushpuppy said these words during “Beasts of the Southern Wild.” The film is set on a fictional island named Isle de Charles Doucet, known as “the Bathtub” by its residents. The movie follows Hushpuppy, played by Quvenzhane Wallis, and residents of the community as they weather the storm during Hurricane Katrina and try to rebuild their lives following the devastation. In addition to Katrina, the polar ice caps have melted and large beasts named aurochs are making their way towards the Bathtub. The imagery throughout the movie is very squalid, but made beautiful through the eyes of Hushpuppy. Wallis was only six when the film was shot and acts years beyond her age. Many of the actors were cast locally from the lower Louisiana and New Orleans area. These actors bring a personal feel and touch to the movie and the issues of alcohol abuse, destruction, poverty and death. The movie is a fantasy, but it feels so real and sincere. For this reason “Beasts of the Southern Wild” deserves to win the Academy Award for Best Picture.

“Life of Pi” – Daniel Hart
Yann Martel’s 2001 novel “Life of Pi” nearly supported its claim of telling a story to make the reader believe in God; Ang Lee’s “Life of Pi” film adaptation comes closer, and as close as possible to fulfilling that promise. A major portion of the film takes place on a lifeboat adrift in the Pacific Ocean, and yet every second is enthralling. Not only is the tiger the most realistic animated creature to ever appear onscreen, but the morphing of water into sky, sky into water and the fine lines blurred between dream and reality blow minds. Everything from the sinking of the ship to Pi’s delusionary visions is both expertly, unbelievably crafted and earth-shatteringly beautiful. The effects don’t even take the film’s highest honors, as “Life of Pi” is perfectly told; its final moments calls into question much more than just the world of the film. This is part adventure film, part coming of age story, partly about India, partly about animals but all spiritual exploration. And then there’s that ending. Not talking about this movie with others is impossible; some part of this film will grab every person, and for this reason and all aforementioned, it deserves to snag Best Picture.

“Silver Linings Playbook” – Hannah Rogers
“Silver Linings Playbook” doesn’t tell the story of a high-stakes rescue like “Argo.” Director David O. Russell doesn’t tackle an epic political battle that changes the course of human history like Steven Spielberg’s “Lincoln.” And the acting ensemble of “Playbook” didn’t grapple with live recording of vocals on film for the first time like the cast of “Les Miserables.” But, more than any film in contention for this year’s Best Picture Oscar, “Silver Linings Playbook” captures the essence of family, love and human emotion. A romantic-comedy that’s not the embarrassing, misogynistic fare usually churned out by studios, “Playbook” tells a compelling love story, and, more importantly, shows both the flaws and necessity of the family unit. Bradley Cooper, whose character suffers from bipolar disorder, and Jennifer Lawrence, who portrays a young widow, could easily have failed to make their characters transcend caricatures – but not only do they avoid stilted or over-the-top moments, the lead duo, along with the rest of the cast (especially Robert De Niro) pull the viewer deeper into the story through their magnetic performances. Past Oscar winning films have captured themes of seeming unremarkable individuals being extraordinary in the circumstances they face – “Forrest Gump,” “Slumdog Millionaire,” “Ordinary People.” If “Silver Linings Playbook” were to win, it would follow in the tradition of honoring films that give gravity to the small things that make us human – family and love.

“Django Unchained” – Alex Moniê
When a movie about a former slave turned bounty hunter sits among a peer group consisting of a tribute to one of the greatest U.S. presidents and a movie based on one of the greatest French novels ever written, the notion of an underdog becomes a bit ironic. Quentin Tarantino weaved a story that once again re-wrote history to his choosing. “Django Unchained” follows the team of Django (Jamie Fox) and Dr. King Shultz (Christoph Waltz) as they hunt down targets and search for Django’s wife. The movie begins soon after the end of the Civil War and does not shy away from the horrors of the era. Like “Inglourious Basterds” in 2009, Tarantino takes a prominent time in history and transforms the setting into a spaghetti western. With clever writing, beautiful cinematography and an all-star cast, “Django Unchained” deserves not only to be nominated, but to walk away with the win.