Flu shot not effective, superfluous

Allow me to first offer a bit of anecdotal evidence: I have never had a flu vaccine, and I have never had the flu. My sister, 26, has never had a flu vaccine. She, also, has never had the flu.
It’s not that I’m a love-child who thinks vaccines cause autism or will turn you into a witch or something. I received the chickenpox vaccination as a baby, and I have never had the chickenpox. I understand this may or may not be linked to me having received the vaccination; I may have never gotten the chickenpox anyway, or I may suffer it in my later years (profusely knocks on wood).
What most people don’t realize is the way the media manipulates the public into feeling secure about getting the flu vaccine. This, of course, gives the health care industry a boost, since most people, if not all, have to pay for the vaccine. (Even if it’s free, someone is paying for that vaccine. So thank your boss.)
A study in the Lancet Infectious Diseases found the flu vaccine actually only prevents 1.5 out of 100 adults from suffering the flu. First understanding how the flu vaccine actually works is important. Each year, medical professionals predict which strains of the flu will be the most widespread.
So, then, the whole vaccine contains a few strains of three different strains of influenza: one influenza A (H3N2) virus, one seasonal influenza A (H1N1) virus and one influenza B virus. Only sometimes are those strains the ones that are actually being circulated. We also must remember  the “flu” is short for “influenza,” and during flu season, a lot of people automatically attribute flu-like symptoms to having the “flu.”
Even if you go to the doctor, and the doctor guesses what is wrong, there is no way of knowing unless tests are taken to confirm as much. Many times, these symptoms can blame other bacteria or viruses for their days of fun in your body. The media will up-play the vaccination saying it’s 60 percent effective; if a vaccine is over 50 percent effective, it is considered a success.
But what does 60 percent actually mean? It means that, annually, only 2.7 percent of adults get the flu.
Studies show the flu vaccine will make this number drop to 1.2 percent, about a 60 percent drop. But, guys, your chance was only 2.7 percent in the first place.
So instead of the media saying, “The flu vaccine drops chances of getting flu by 1.5 percent!” they’ll tell you, “The flu vaccine is 60 percent effective!” I’m not saying you should get the vaccine, but if you are a student reading this paper (aka a relatively healthy adult), then you really don’t need to worry about it. Children over 6 months, elderly people, and pregnant women should give it more consideration because the flu could be more serious for those people and the percent risk rises.
So many people just listen to their doctors’ suggestions to get flu shots or the media’s encouragement to receive a flu shot without questioning the need.
Maybe I am old-fashioned, but I think injecting anything into yourself without need is just unnecessary.
Don’t even get me started on diet soda. To see people downing chemicals like water but then getting vaccinated because they are concerned about maybe contracting the flu is absolutely sickening.
The most important thing to remember is to do your research about the actual relative effectiveness of the flu vaccine.
Make your own decision about your health, but remember that maintaining a healthy lifestyle in general will definitely reduce your chances of getting the flu. It will boost your immune system and make you stronger against all of those pesky viruses and bacteria, not just the flu.