Former walk-on Foster seeks to honor Christ through basketball

On Monday, April 30, 2012, Candace Foster was preparing for her first exam when she received that dreaded phone call. Her sister called to say her mom had died of cancer.
But during a time most people would consider filled with sorrow, Foster had a different perspective characterized by peace and joy.
“I thank God that I know who God is, and I know my momma’s a firm believer and a Christian. I knew it doesn’t take anything away from who God is, and he carried me through that situation,” Foster said. “Knowing that helped me through that time of grieving. It wasn’t a time of grieving actually; it was a time of rejoicing knowing she’s with the Father.”
Foster’s biggest fan passed away four months after hearing the news that the former walk-on was given a full scholarship to play women’s basketball at Mississippi State. Having dreamed of playing basketball at a Division 1 SEC school, Foster said she thought there was no better place to go than MSU.
“We had been in faith together about earning a full scholarship, and lo and behold, God did that for us,” Foster said. “I think about my mom all the time, but when I’m out there on the court, I play for the glory of the Lord. My work ethic just has to do with bringing glory to the Lord, and that’s something my mom taught me to do.”
When she is on the court, Foster energizes the team and brings a tough, defensive mentality to the floor. The “Energizer Bunny” as her teammates call her, only averaged 2.7 minutes and took just five shots her first two seasons at MSU, but this year, Foster’s role has increased. She averages 13 minutes and has recorded 21 rebounds, 20 assists and 17 points.
Head coach Vic Schaefer said Foster plays with passion, aggression and toughness, and when she missed practice one day, the whole practice was terrible because she brings a level of intensity and energy the team desperately needs.
“She’ll tell you and I’ll tell you she plays with God in her heart. She’s just a good Christian kid. She’s just appreciative, she loves being a Bulldog and she embraces Mississippi State,” Schaefer said. “She’s everything I want in a basketball player. I wish she had a little bit better jump shot, but I play her because of those other things I just told you, and at the end of the day, that’s more important than her skills set right now, and that’s what she brings to my team, and I gotta have that person. I’m glad I have her, and I love her intensity. I love everything about that kid.”
Foster said her first two years at State were a struggle with the team losing a lot and not being productive, but when Schaefer, who is known for his defensive schemes, came to MSU, he saw her love for defense and has granted her the opportunity to do what she does best.
Foster takes pride in her defense and loves to do the dirty work. Although most players enjoy the glory that comes on the offensive end, Foster enjoys doing the unnoticed aspects, like getting a steal or making a hustle play, that let other people shine.
Foster’s teammates said they appreciate the mentality and passion she brings to the team. Sophomore Kendra Grant said she loves being on the court with Foster because her personality and her character in general transfer over to the court.
“If you know the type of person Candace is, you can see it on the court, like her attitude about everything; she lays it on the line whether it’s in practice or in games. However many minutes she’s in, it doesn’t matter whatever it is, she’s gonna go hard,” Grant said. “I feel like that’s just something that’s been placed in her by God.”
Alliesha Easley, the FCA women’s chaplain, leads Bible studies before home games. Before Easley came to MSU, Foster led the Bible studies for her team.
Easley said Foster carries the mindset found in Colossians 3:23 of working for the Lord and not for men when she plays basketball.
“When I first got here, there was no doubt in just meeting her that she loved the Lord and she was different, and you could just tell she was set apart through things she talked about and just her demeanor. She gave off light,” Easley said. “Some people play hard because that’s what they do, but from talks with Candace, I know she plays hard because she wants to glorify the Lord.”
Foster defies the stereotypical D-1 athlete. She loves defense and understands her role as an “undercover man.” The once walk-on trusts in her Lord through the good and the bad and seeks to glorify Him with her actions.
Foster said she has a heart for each of her teammates, each member of the coaching staff and whomever else she may come across. Her purpose here is not basketball; it is about faith, eternity and reaching lives for the Kingdom.
“I really want to be an influence for them to turn to Christ and let them know life in Christ is not boring. It’s not ‘I can’t do this now, I can’t do that now.’ There is freedom in Christ to know that there is someone who loves us so much despite our faults,” Foster said. “I am not perfect, but I know God loves me; God is forgiving. I just try to live out loud for him and let them know they can do it, too, and God loves them just as much, and He wants to see them prosper in Him.”