SA Vice Presidential Candidates Q&A: Shelby Sims

Q: What has the vice president done in the past you would like to expand, continue or improve upon?
A: “Something that the vice president has done in the past that I would like to expand upon would definitely be the reconstruction of senate last year. We completely revamped the way senators are elected. They are elected now just by academic college and not by residence halls, sorority row, off campus senators. I’d like to take that and really just get the senators more involved academically with the students…This year we’ve done a good job of really focusing on the elections reform, and that’s been a huge thing for us, but once we can get past that I really just want to get the senators to really dive into their academic colleges.”

Q: What are some of your main goals you’d like to accomplish if elected vice president?
A: “My main focus is definitely going to be on the Student Association senate. We work really hard to pass legislation that is going to make a difference that we can pass onto administrators that will affect students and be the voice and advocate for students on campus. Also, a big goal of mine is my bike safety initiative that I would like to get started on campus. We have really no bike paths on campus. We have just one that comes in from the Cotton District, and so I want to make a committee in senate who will research other campuses, how they have implemented bike safety and bike paths and things like that, work with the administrators and hopefully by the end of my term I can have a plan of action…but really just educating students about that and making our campus a more pedestrian-friendly, biker-friendly campus.”

Q: What aspects of the job do you think need reform?
A: “I would say the class council setup. In the constitution, the vice president is supposed to preside over the junior, sophomore and freshman class councils. In the past the vice presidents haven’t utilized that in their position. I don’t think they have worked closely with the councils, and that was something that Rhett Hobart, last year’s president, really wanted to implement. He wanted to get the class councils fundraising from freshman year so they can give a great gift their senior year. This year we kind of lost focus on that, and so whether me as vice president, whether I will do a better job to work with them, or whether we need to move it to another position and have them preside over the class councils.”

Q: How do you hope to improve the experience of the average student?
A: “A lot of people don’t realize that senate can really have a huge impact on the students. We can pass any legislation we want… A lot of people don’t realize we don’t just have to pass certain things. The faculty and the administrators, they have a lot of respect for the student senate, and when we pass something and when we send it on to them, they’re likely to take a look at it and to move on it. Really, just informing the students about the senate and about the fact that they can come to us with any problem and that we can make a difference.”