SA Debate taking place Wednesday

The Stennis Montgomery Association will host this year’s annual Student Association candidate debate Wednesday night in Rogers Auditorium in preparation for the Feb. 12 SA election.
Shelby Balius, SA president, said changes have been made to this year’s debate, including a new host, to avoid conflicts of interest. Balius said the SA senate passed a proposal last year to have a new organization host the debate.
“It’s a little bit different than last year because last year the senate passed a resolution for any debate to be held by an external organization so as to not create a conflict of interest with the Student Association hosting the debate in addition to the organization that hosts the actual election,” Balius said. “The Stennis Montgomery Association will be hosting it, but it will be similar in the format and the types of questions that will be asked of the candidates.”
Balius also said the SA has done more publicizing of the debate in order to increase student attendance and participation.
“In the past we have had a problem with just getting general students to be present at the debate and it ends up being a collection of campaign teams of each of the candidates,” she said. “This year, we have publicized the election much more than normal via Twitter, Facebook and other outlets including posters in residence halls and academic buildings.”
Brittany White, SA press secretary, said in an email interview she thinks students should attend the debate to be informed and understand the issues of the university.
“I think so many students fail to realize the effects that the elected Student Association Executive Council have for each student,” White said. “Students should attend the debate so that they are informed about each candidate’s platform and understand the plans and aspirations that each candidate has for Mississippi State. Ultimately, the goal is for students to vote for the candidate whom they feel aligns the most with their own concerns on campus.”