Lady Bulldogs upset No. 11 Georgia on senior night

Exactly one year after he interviewed for the Mississippi State women’s basketball head coaching job, Vic Schaefer led the Dogs to a 50-38 upset over No. 11 Georgia.
Darriel Gaynor wasted no time in making her senior night a night to remember Thursday when MSU won its fifth conference game.
The lone senior hit two quick threes en route to a 19-4 MSU run to open up the game against Georgia. Gaynor finished with 11 points and three rebounds in her final game at the Hump.
Head coach Vic Schaefer said he was glad to see the good Lord reward Gaynor and the whole team.
“I couldn’t be more happy for Darriel Gaynor on senior night. They laid it on the line for her,” Schaefer said with tears in his eyes. “To see her tonight in this game in this moment to do what she did, that’s so gratifying. There’s so much satisfaction as a coach. If this was her last game at home, she went out like you’re supposed to go out.”
In addition to Gaynor’s outstanding play, sophomore Martha Alwal recorded her league-leading 15th double-double with 12 points and 14 rebounds. Schaefer said when Alwal comes to play, the whole team feeds off of her.
“Martha was a monster. She was the difference the first 10 minutes of the game controlling the paint,” Schaefer said. “Martha’s top end is way far from where she is now. If she can do it against No. 11 in the country, she can do it against anyone.”
In the second half, MSU found itself in the midst of a six-minute drought where Georgia came within two before Jerica James knocked down a three pointer to give State some breathing room.
Key free throws down the stretch from James, Alwal and Kendra Grant secured the victory for MSU, its fourth win in its last five home games.
Gaynor, whose family came from Las Vegas to watch her final game at home, said it was great to see her family in the crowd cheering.
“It means everything to me. This year has been a record-breaking year for us… I’m so happy for my team. I feel like they did this for me,” Gaynor said. “It was definitely my most memorable moment at Mississippi State.”