Fans anticipate performance in annual spring football game

The annual Mississippi State University Maroon and White spring game is fast approaching, and many storylines have developed heading into the game. How will the MSU secondary look after losing three starters from last year’s team? How effective will the receiving core be after also losing three starters? Who will step up among the linebackers in Cameron Lawrence’s absence? Can this team overcome all of its losses and actually be better than last year’s team? Or will youth and inexperience sink the Bulldogs season?
These are the major questions and issues that face the MSU football team coming into the 2013 season, and although these questions will not be answered until the fall, fans can start to examine them and how they might play out now.
Defense has been a strength of the Bulldogs the past few seasons, and the secondary has been a huge part of that side of the ball, but losing three starters can cause any unit to drop in performance.
Cornerbacks Johnthan Banks and Darius Slay and safety Corey Broomfield are all gone, and new players will have to step up and perform at a high level in their place to carry on the caliber of play that was lost. Right now, the spring depth chart has Jamerson Love and Justin Cox at cornerback and Jay Hughes and Nickoe Whitley (the only returning starter) at safety.
This will be Cox’s first season in the MSU program as he joins the team from East Mississippi Community College. Cox was a safety at EMCC but will move back to the cornerback position for the Bulldogs. Cox said he played corner before, so it will not be a problem. He said he does not believe the secondary will be a vulnerability for the team.
“I don’t think the secondary will be a weakness at all. We got Nickoe and (Jay) Hughes back there at safety, and we got really good corners,” Cox said. “Going from JUCO to the SEC will be a huge transition for me. JUCO is JUCO ball, and the SEC is faster.”
Although a lot is being made of the potential decline in play in the secondary and at receiver, there will also be some positions of strength on this team, as well. One of the main positions the Bulldogs should be strong on is the offensive line, which return four of the five starters from last season. The group will be led by senior Gabe Jackson, who is one of the best guards in the country and could be a first or second round pick in next year’s draft depending on how he plays this season.
Jackson said he definitely believes the offensive line will be one of the strengths of the team.
“We’re a mature group. Our youngest guy is a redshirt sophomore, so we have a lot of experience up front,” Jackson said.
Jackson had a terrific season last year. He made the All-SEC first team and could have been drafted, had he opted to enter this year’s draft. Despite the stellar season, Jackson said he is continuing to work hard to get better.
“I’ve just been working on my footwork and hand placement, trying to have quicker feet and be more mobile.” Jackson said.
Another position of strength for the Bulldogs is running back. Ladarius Perkins is the returning leading rusher from last season and rushed for over 1,000 yards and eight touchdowns. Behind Perkins are juniors Josh Robinson and Nick Griffin who have both been getting repetitions in the two spring scrimmages so far. Perkins said he is expanding his role as a leader on this year’s team.
“This year me and all the seniors are just trying to make sure we keep the young guys motivated and keep them up even if they may not be getting the playing time they want and just make sure everyone is on the same page,” Perkins said.
Perkins also said he thinks the offense will still be effective despite the losses at receiver.
“We lost some good guys but I feel like Jameon (Lewis), Robert (Johnson) and Joe Morrow will step in, and we won’t miss a beat,” Perkins said.
Perhaps the MSU fans and critics should hold off on dismissing this team until they actually see what this group of players looks like on the field. The spring game will be on Saturday at 1 p.m. at Davis Wade Stadium.