Former United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to speak at free lecture

Former United States Secretary of State and Stanford University professor Condoleezza Rice will deliver an address on campus Tuesday, March 26 as part of Mississippi State University’s Global Lecture Series.

According to a University Relations press release, Rice’s lecture will be a free event and held in Humphrey Coliseum at 7 p.m.

The event requires tickets and students may obtain them from the Center for Student Activities in Suite 314 of the Colvard Student Union or the Barnes & Noble Campus Bookstore.

Sid Salter, director of the Office of University Relations, said in a telephone interview that he will moderate a question-and-answer session for about half an hour after Rice’s speech.

Salter said questions for Rice may be submitted via social media, and anyone following the university Facebook or Twitter accounts will receive an invitation.

Salter said the Office of University Relations will strive to select a body of questions that is a reasonable representation of the local populace.

“We will select a representative list of questions from the students, faculty, every segment of campus and do our best to make it fair and equitable,” he said.

Salter said the Global Lecture Series is sponsored by numerous sectors of the university, including the Division of Student Affairs, the Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs, the Center for Student Activities Office, the President’s Office and the MSU Foundation.

Salter also said the Global Lecture Series has been successful in bringing prominent speakers in the field of international relations to MSUs campus in recent years.

“Prior speakers in programming of this nature have included former Secretary of State Colin Powell and former South African President and Nobel prize winner F.W. de Klerk,” he said.

Salter said hosting speakers of Rice’s caliber require careful attention to security concerns as well as the requests of the speaker.

Salter added the university is required to prohibit most recording devices in the Humphrey Coliseum Tuesday night and will enforce this policy.

“The university has a contractual obligation to limit recording devices of any kind,” he said. “We’re asking that people don’t record on their cell phones or anything else. No cameras or recorders will be allowed in the Hump.”

Salter said Rice’s office has not announced the topic of her speech, but the general theme of her lecture will likely involve current and future interactions between the U.S. and the rest of the world.

“By the very nature of the Global Lecture Series, the expectation is that the speech will be about how the United States relates to the rest of the world in a global economy,” he said.