MSU alumni director announces retirement

In 1977, Mississippi State University welcomed a true Bulldog into the family of dedicated faculty and staff, and now 38 years later, after inspiring many students and alumni, Jimmy Abraham retires, remaining ever true to that Maroon and White.
Abraham started his work at MSU as residence hall director in Evans Hall and has worked in many different positions and departments since then. He retires in the position of the associate vice president of Development and Alumni and the executive director of the MSU Alumni Association.
In his letter announcing his retirement, Abraham stated how honored and grateful he is to have been able to work at his alma mater for the past 38 years.
“There is no way I can ever thank Mississippi State enough for all this university has given to me – as a student and as a staff member. Nor is there any way I will ever be able to adequately thank all of you for your friendship and support through the years,” Abraham said.
Abraham said working here at MSU, what he considers the best university in the country, was the best thing that he could have done.
Camille Young, MSU Alumni Association national president, said she first met Abraham when she was a student at MSU and he was in student recruiting and admissions, and now she works with Abraham in the Alumni Association.
She said she noticed Abraham’s devotion to this university and the students, faculty, staff and alumni on first impression.
“I have never in my life met anyone as committed to their faith, their family and their university. Dr. Abraham is the epitome of what a Bulldog is. He loves our university and he loves the people who make Mississippi State what it is,” Young said.
Young said she truly enjoyed working with Abraham and she feels privileged to work with a man who is unlike any other.
“He is extremely energetic, he makes hard work fun, he makes you want to work harder, he challenges you to do greater things and just him exhibiting his love for Mississippi State makes you want to take your support and your dedication to the university higher,” Young said.
Haley Fisackerly, president and CEO of Entergy Mississippi, Inc., worked with Abraham in the mid 1980s as an Orientation Leader as well as when he was a member of the MSU Student Association.
While working as an orientation leader, Abraham showed Fisackerly the energy and passion for MSU so many others have seen as well. 
“Jimmy has such a passion about him that it was addictive and something that I wanted to know more about,” Fisackerly said. “He was this guy that was so full of energy and so full of passion that his emotions were not only in his words, but in his expressions.”
Fisackerly said he remembers one very specific piece of advice Abraham gave to him while they worked together.
“There was one great lesson I learned from Jimmy: We all get frustrated with other people, somebody may be late for a meeting or not being responsible the way you want them to, but he reminds you to not be quick to judge those people because you never know what’s going on in their lives,” Fisackerly said.
When asked what he would say to the current students of MSU, Abraham said he hopes current students will remember a piece of advice for years to come.   
“Earn five F’s while at State and carry them with you when you graduate-be loyal and make good Friends, stay Focused on what is really important in life, keep and live your Faith, love your Family and let them know this and Forgive others,” Abraham said.