Independent Palestinian state could be dangerous

For the first time during his presidency, President Obama made a visit to Israel. In addition to Israel, he made a trip to the West Bank and met with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and Prime Minister Salaam Fayyad.
On Thursday at Jerusalem’s International Convention Center, Obama delivered a speech that was in some ways inspiring. I think the true base of his message was one that Israel and its allies cannot come to accept.
According to the transcript of the president’s speech, which can be found on whitehouse.gov, he reaffirmed the relationship between Israel and the United States by saying, “so long as there is a United States of America – Atem lo levad. You are not alone.”
Finally hearing Obama so firmly back Israel is reassuring. Israel has been one of our most faithful allies over the years. The part of Obama’s speech that did not rest easy with me pertained to his thoughts on Israel’s relationship with Palestine.
The president made it very clear he believes Palestine should be given its own state. He advocated for “an independent Palestine…with real borders.” Hand in hand with creating a Palestinian state, Obama made strong pushes for peace between Arabs and Israelis. I have absolutely no problem with peace between Arabs and Israelis. I am against the creation of an independent Palestinian state. I am not racist, nor do I hold a hatred for Palestinians. What I do have is a sense of caution and apprehension. There have been attempts at peace before, none resulting in anything lasting.
Creating an independent Palestinian state will not solve anything. For a time, yes it might help. If we look at the Gaza Strip, it is clear to me what will happen. Terrorist organizations like Hezbollah will come to power, one way or another. They will use the newly formed state to attain their detestable goals.
Over the weekend I had a very enjoyable discussion with a new friend who happens to be of Middle Eastern descent. He disagreed with my stance of apprehension on the creation of a Palestinian state.
When I told him my thoughts on the possible hijacking of the new government by organizations like Hezbollah, he had a very interesting retort. His answer as to why that would not happen was Palestine is very young, as far as the age of its people. He believes the young people do not accept the terror of Hezbollah and will resist the advances upon the new government. As much as I would love to believe this, I simply cannot. I know the large majority of people do not want to be subjected to a terrorist regime.
Unfortunately, the few who do support them somehow manage to usurp much of the power from the deserving government officials.
The danger in creating a Palestinian state comes not from the democratic value of self-determination. Rather, the peril comes from the imminent possibility of a hostile state that is so physically close to Israel.
In a region where not a single country sides with Israel, creating yet another enemy for itself seems like a stupid idea. Imagine you move to a neighborhood where you are different from every person that lives around you. You are a different religion, your skin is a different color and your customs are different. All of your neighbors despise you because you are different. Every day you live in fear one of your neighbors will seek you out and hurt you or your family. Would you want to build a house across the street and put more of these hostile neighbors in it?
Not all of the countries around Israel are as extreme as that example, but many are. Israel is already such a tiny country, only approximately the size of New Jersey; it can barely afford to give up any more land. This strip of land in the desert is the only state of its kind in the world, the only Jewish state. There needs to come a point when the Israeli people can finally feel safe. There should be a time when Israelis can proudly stand in their country and not worry about their security. I am not against the right of self-determination.
I’m against the uncertainness and danger that would come with an independent Palestine. Prove that Hezbollah can be blocked from the government and rooted out. Prove Palestinians truly want peace. Prove that while Palestinians and Israelis are very different people, they can agree to disagree. If they can prove these things, then I feel we could in good faith create an independent Palestinian state.