Food Review: The P.O.D. sushi is more plain than fulfilling

Landon Scheel | The Reflector

Brannan Tisdale, a junior geoscience major, eats sushi from the P.O.D. on the third floor of the Colvard Student Union.

For sushi that has stirred a lot of chatter on campus, the sushi offered at Provisions on Demand Markets on campus is acceptable at best.
Students go to the P.O.D. to buy snacks, drinks, to-go sandwiches and salads, but nothing has been more hyped up than the newly-included sushi.
Sushi options are not limited in Starkville. Local restaurants, such as Asian Foods Market-Restaurant, Thai Siam and Umi Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar, offer numerous sushi options at ranging price points.
For a student on the go, it may not be convenient to order sushi at an off-campus location. For a student on a budget, off-campus sushi options may be pricier. These two considerations make P.O.D. sushi an acceptable alternative to off-campus sushi options.
All sushi from the P.O.D.s come in small containers with lids that pop off easily. This makes the food convenient to carry to class, residence halls or study spots on campus.
The presentation and arrangement of the P.O.D. sushi are minimal and underwhelming, compared to restaurant sushi, which is densely stuffed in the center and covered in various sauces, garnishes, spices and creams.
The P.O.D.’s sushi rolls come in various amounts: some containers have six rolls, while others have more than 10 rolls. The sushi is inconsistent as a satisfying meal for many students, since some people have to pair a bag of chips, fruit or candy with the six rolls to make a fulfilling meal.
Several different kinds of sushi rolls are offered, but most are called the “Chef (Special) Roll A,” a generic name that encompasses several different rolls offered.
Most of the sushi is packed with strong, savory flavors and spice. Luckily, students who do not tolerate spicy foods have other options available. Other rolls have mild flavors that still bring zest to the sushi.
Other options have plain flavors that are easy on the palate, have fresh cucumber slices in the center and feature minimal sauce and garnish.
Most sushis are assorted with imitation crab, a few vegetables and a light sauce. The sushi is coated with a soft rice outer layer and a crunchy inner layer, and it manages to stay together.
Despite often being very plain compared to other sushi options in Starkville, P.O.D. sushi is acceptably good. What makes it shine, however, is its convenience for students who only have time for a quick meal.