Feasel: Top 5 best buys at Aldi

Jahari Bell | The Reflector

A shopper browses the home section of Aldi, which opened last winter at 607 Highway 12 in the Triangle Crossing Shopping Center. Aldi sells both home goods and grocery items.

Starkville welcomed the Aldi franchise to its grocery scene last winter.
Aldi carries many average, name-brand products like Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce and Cheerios. However, Aldi also stocks a variety of affordable specialty items.
Here are some of those unique finds.
Specially Selected Truffles: $3.99
Aldi has decadent and cheap chocolate treats year-round, but the store also features holiday truffles.
On Valentine’s Day, I purchased the Chocolate Truffle Hearts. The little hearts had showy swirls and stripes, and they were just the right size for a single bite. I had never tried a strawberry rhubarb truffle before picking up that box, but I liked the tartness of the fruit with the rich chocolate.
I have also seen Christmas truffles. I am going to be on the lookout for an egg-shaped Easter special.
Hummus Quartet: $4.95
The hummus quartet features four different flavor compartments: roasted garlic, cilantro jalapeño, roasted red pepper and classic.
The fresh cilantro jalapeño compliments the smoky roasted red pepper. I like taking pita chips and turn the container after each bite to sample all the flavors.
For under $5, you get four distinct dips  perfect for spicing up individual snack time or adding some color to a party spread. You can only find this hummus bargain at Aldi.
Driscoll’s Rainbow Pack: $3.99
My roommate and I often struggle to eat all the fruit we buy. When we purchase grapes or strawberries, we get tired of the fruit before we can eat it all. I cannot always justify steep produce prices either.
Aldi offers the Driscoll’s Rainbow Pack, which includes a portion of fresh raspberries, blueberries and blackberries for almost $4. This pack provides an impressive quantity of fruit for the price and I appreciate the variety.
You can fend off the freshman 15 with these berries without monotony or waste.
Casa Mamita Beef and Cheese Chimichanga: $1.09
Though I love Aldi, I do not have as much insight as its employees. I decided to ask for an expert opinion.
Austin Beard, who has worked for the Aldi franchise for six months, helped me locate one of Aldi’s best frozen snack offerings.
“I have just the [one] thing,” Beard said, “This is what I buy for my lunch — the dollar chimichangas.”
These cheesy chimichangas are the perfect mess-free meal. You simply open the package and heat in the microwave for 45 seconds on each side.
The soft tortilla wrapper encases a filling of gooey cheese and savory beef. The chimichanga reminded me of a cross between a taco and a hot pocket.
La Croix Selection: $4.12
La Croix is an acquired taste. People either love or hate this fizzy beverage, and if you happen to find La Croix refreshing rather than repulsive, Aldi has an impressive selection.
True La Croix fans know the difference between the regular flavors and the special La Croix options that come in the tall, slender can. I have yet to figure out why these seem to taste better, but they do.
Cherry lime, kiwi watermelon and apple cranberry are just a few of the flavors offered in this can type. I have searched high and low for these options at other grocery stores in Starkville, and I have only located these flavors at Aldi.
In a town full of grocery store choices, Aldi provides unusual and fun bargains, perfect for any occasion.

Rowan Feasel
Rowan Feasel, Staff Writer
Rowan Feasel is a junior English major. Rowan is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.