7 local restaurant recommendations to celebrate Valentine’s Day

Jacob Mitchell | The Reflector

Arepas Coffee & Bar, located at 102 Rue Du Grande Fromage, offers authentic Venezuelan cuisine in Starkville’s Cotton District. The restaurant features an abundant menu of alcoholic beverages and a cute location, perfect for the Valentine’s Day holiday.

For some people, a thoughtful gift or an act of service is a perfect display of love. For others, their love language is a big plate of bread and a tall glass of wine.
No matter one’s preference, these restaurants offer a perfect array of options to celebrate Valentine’s Day locally with your significant other, your best friend or yourself.
Known for its mouth-watering steaks, juicy shrimp and a variety of phenomenal appetizers, Anthony’s Good Food Market has served the West Point community and beyond for over 50 years in its easygoing, casual attire atmosphere. The restaurant is more pricey, but it is nice for a special occasion. 
Along with its self-proclaimed good food, Anthony’s also allows its guests to brown bag the wine and spirits of their choosing for $5 a bottle. The restaurant will be open from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Valentine’s Day, and we advise making a reservation beforehand to ensure a successful experience.
TASTE Italian Kitchen, located at 208 Lincoln Green in Starkville, is perfect for an upscale, classy dinner. It offers an exceptional wine selection, pasta menu and outstanding customer service for a more expensive choice.
For something romantic and fun, Arepas Coffee & Bar offers great drinks and a cute location perfect for pictures. The menu features a wide variety of authentic Venezuelan cuisine that is very customizable.
Marina Fable, a server at Arepas, said the best thing about Arepas was the community built around it.
“My favorite thing about Arepas is that all the staff are super close with each other and that we have so many regulars that come in just to sit and talk for hours,” Fable said. “If you go this Valentine’s Day, I highly recommend the passionfruit mojito.”
In a new location in the Cotton District, Arepas features a $3 daily mimosa deal that includes four different flavors to try. It is a smaller, intimate place sure to light a spark on Valentine’s Day. No reservations needed.
Harveys, serving the Starkville community since 1982 on Highway 12, is the perfect way to encapsulate the Starkville experience for out-of-towners. The restaurant offers multiple award nominated items such as an array of fish, steaks, sandwiches and amazing cocktails.
Tuesday nights at Commodore Bob’s Yacht Club are always reserved for its famous $20 steak and fries deal, and this Valentine’s Day is no exception.
At Commodore Bob’s, $20 provides a great cut of steak, laid delicately on their rosemary garlic fries, topped with a phenomenal peppercorn sauce. Along with a glass of wine or a bottle of beer, Commodore Bob’s offers a great deal for a classy meal that won’t break the bank.
NutriGroove opened its storefront to the Starkville community in 2022, after moving to the Cotton District and expanding from its food truck. In the first few weeks of 2023, the restaurant began offering an extended list of hand-crafted cocktails.
The emerging “Starkville staple,” known for its fresh food and drinks, is the perfect spot for a laid-back Valentine’s evening.
For those looking to stay in, Boardtown Pizza and Pints offers creative and fun pizza kits to satisfy holiday needs.
“It’s $28, and you get three dough balls, the shredded house cheese, your choice of two toppings and a container of pizza sauce,” said Griffin Bramer, a Boardtown employee. “This is a great Valentine’s Day idea because you can get creative with the pizzas and make them into shapes rather than just the usual circles.”
There are endless possibilities for a sentimental and fun Valentine’s Day. From upscale dining to fun and casual hang-out spots, Starkville has something perfect for everyone this holiday.