Program shows First Amendment’s impact on music

What do “the Star-Spangled Banner,” “Good Rockin’ Tonight” and “Puff, the Magic Dragon” have in common? All three were among hundreds of American popular songs that have been challenged or suppressed because of controversy over their content.
    These and other songs are part of a live music, multi-media performance called “Freedom Sings: The Story of Censorship, Drugs and Rock ‘n’ Roll.”
    “Freedom Sings” celebrates the poetry, passion and power of music that has made a difference. Spanning 300 years of history, this performance illustrates both the strength and the vulnerability of the First Amendment.
    The program will be presented at the McComas Hall Theater on Wednesday at 7 p.m.
    Using musical performance, film, photographs and narration, the critically acclaimed 90-minute program tells the story of almost three centuries of banned or censored music in America, inviting the audience to take a fresh look at the First Amendment and the impact of freedom of speech.
    The event is being sponsored by the department of communication, the political science department, the university honors program, the college of arts and sciences and The Reflector.
    “Freedom Sings” features an all-star cast of musicians including Grammy Award winners Don Henry, Ashley Cleveland and Craig Krampf along with Bill Lloyd, powerhouse vocalist and actress Shonka Dukureh, Jason White and keyboard player/songwriter Joseph Wooten.
    “Freedom Sings” goes far beyond being a mere celebration of the First Amendment.
    “‘Freedom Sings’ is a rock/folk/soul/country concert for smart people,” said Jeff Clouser, Sunday editor of The Lebanon (Pa.) Daily News.
    “‘Freedom Sings’ is all about shaking off that mindset with drums, guitars and a little help from our friends,” said Ken Paulson, executive director of the First Amendment Center and the creator of “Freedom Sings.”
    Paulson notes that the fact that these talented performers have taken time from their individual careers to become involved with the project only emphasizes the importance of the message.
    The event is presented in partnership with the Mississippi Press Association. A second public performance will be taking place at Oxford Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Fulton Chapel on the Ole Miss campus.
    “Freedom Sings” is an ongoing, national program of the First Amendment Center and began with a 1999 concert at Nashville’s renowned Bluebird Caf.
    The program began touring college campuses nationwide in 2000. Special performances have included major journalism association annual conferences, The Bottom Line in New York City and the annual conferences of such groups as the The Americana Music Association.