Restaurants target sports fans

Any of the Mississippi State students who began lining up Jan. 12 as early as 4:30 a.m. for Kentucky tickets could testify: tickets are valuable this basketball season–and hard to get. Area restaurant managers and bar owners have targeted the Starkville sports fan crowd.
    The Little Dooey offers more than food on game days. They have six television sets throughout the facility. Derek Willis, staff member and soon to be night manager calls game nights “hectic, but enjoyable. It’s, ‘Go State’ all the time.”
    This Starkville favorite schedules extra help on game nights in order to maintain good service for everyone.
    For the high profile Kentucky game, Little Dooey reached its seating limit. For students who fail to get tickets, Little Dooey always proves to be a popular alternative.
    “We’re planning on being packed out this weekend,” said Willis. “The food and the laid back atmosphere are a big reason why our restaurant thrives before, during, and after game time.”
    Another local restaurant prone to seeing a rush on game days is Abner’s. Known for its college town appeal and sports theme, not to mention it’s chicken tenders, Abner’s is “much busier on game nights than on regular nights,” says restaurant manager Adam Chronister.
    The staff at The Veranda, which opened last year, consider themselves “absolute MSU fans,” says manager Spencer Morrill. “We have a big bar, surround sound, seven televisions and an exciting atmosphere for game time.”
    One other night of the year which is a highlight for business is Superbowl Sunday, which falls this year on February 1. While Little Dooey’s closes on Sundays, Abner’s plans to be showing the game as well as serving “plenty of food” during the Superbowl, said Chronister.
    A popular place for students and alumni of Mississippi State, The Veranda’s bar was as busy or busier on big game nights than it would be on the usual “big night of the week,” said Morrill. “It’s an exciting atmosphere, but not too crazy. It’s a place where all ages can enjoy the game and the crowd.”