Lyceum Series brings New York Broadway

Students will have the chance to see authentic New York City theater Tuesday as Black Broadway rolls into McComas Hall.
    The show, which features songs from 12 hit Broadway musicals will begin at 7:30 p.m. in McComas Hall Theatre.
    Known as the JENA Company, the troupe will present Black Broadway, which is derived from multiple shows such as the well-known “Ragtime.” Graduate students Kell Smith and Freddie Steinwinder serve as coordinators for the Lyceum Series and are excited about the show.
    The collection of songs, said Smith, are “really just a celebration of Broadway hits coming together as one.”
    “Students are usually low on funds. We wanted to offer something like this to them for free,” he said. “It’s a great opportunity.”
    “To bring Broadway to the community and to students really opens up a door and offers this opportunity to students who don’t normally get it,” Steinwinder said. “It’s a big deal that we would be able to offer the chance to see a Broadway show and Broadway performers to students here at Mississippi State.”
    Black Broadway features songs from shows that have won 44 Tony Awards, 33 Drama Desks, 13 Outer Circle Awards, 2 Obies and 5 Grammys, collectively. It includes well-known hits such as “Honeysuckle Rose,” “Old Man River” and “Come Rain or Shine” as well as Duke Ellington songs such as “I’m Just a Lucky So and So” and the jazz of Jelly Roll Morton.
    Freshman Laurel Miller said it’s not easy to pack up and go to New York for a show. “I’m glad they’re bringing it here,” she said.
    The Starkville show will be part of the first leg of JENA Company’s national tour. It will also be the only Broadway-caliber musical group offered as part of the Lyceum Series.
    MSU students will be admitted free of charge with student identification. Tickets will be available at the door. All seats are general admission.