University mourns instructor’s death

The Mississippi State community mourned the loss of one of its finest over the winter break. Linda Brasher, English instructor since 1987, died Saturday, Dec. 20, from injuries she sustained in a November automobile accident.
    Brasher was in serious condition at the North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo since her accident on U.S. Highway 82 on Nov. 19.
    Gregory Bentley, a professor of English, said people in the English department were all in a state of shock over their friend’s death.
    “We’re going to miss her sorely,” Bentley said.
    One of Brasher’s former students, Amanda Easley, said she thought of Brasher as more than just a teacher.
    “She really was a friend,” Easley said. “When I had a problem-it didn’t have to be in English-I could talk to her about it.”
    Easley said she knew she could count on Brasher’s prayers and advice whenever she needed help.
    Brasher’s work in the department, which also included a position as the undergraduate director, was praised by her friends and co-workers.
    Bentley said Brasher was irreplaceable because she devoted so much of her time and energy not only to her job, but also to her students and their parents.
    Kelly Marsh, an assistant professor in English, said she felt fortunate to have known Brasher during her time at MSU.
    “She was great at what she did, but she always thought about how she could do things even better,” Marsh said. “She always demanded more of herself than she did of other people, and she was very kind and careful with people’s feelings.”
    Brasher is survived by her husband of 35 years, Dudley Brasher, as well as her son, Brian Brasher, her daughter, Lora Gale Lowry, and son-in-law, Wade.
    Easley, who attended Brasher’s funeral last month, said others who loved Brasher just as much as she did. At the service she was able to meet with Brasher’s family and said she admired their faith throughout the ordeal.
    The faculty, staff and students of the MSU English department are left to look back upon and remember Brasher’s devotion to her job, love for her students and her strong faith.
    Easley said Brasher forged relationships with her students that extended beyond the classroom. She pointed to her own experience as an example.
    “I loved her as a teacher,” Easley said. “But I loved her more as a friend.”