Chicken wars, healthy competition start up in town

Fingers are flying across the town of Starkville, but it’s not because of a traffic jam or a bad call by a ref. In this case the fingers are chicken, and some local restaurants are doing the flipping. The town’s finger mainstay, Abner’s, has new competition in the form of Jebs and Zaxby’s.
    Abner’s set up shop in the community about five years ago, Benji Ware, a cook at the eatery, said. He added that the restaurant thought competition was a good thing since it would only make the establishment look better.
    “We believe we’ve got all the tools already,” Ware said about the quality of food his place offers. “We are just going to keep doing what we’re doing.”
    On the other side of town, two new threats to the chicken tender market have emerged to attempt to take Abner’s deep-fried crown.
    Close to Wal-Mart is Jebs, a smaller organization that believes its “down home” cooking will help it win in the end.
    “Business is good here,” said Kamille Niven, manager of Jeb’s. After its opening on July 2 this summer, the place has made a name for itself by “word of mouth,” she added.
    “Our chicken is bigger and cheaper. And as far as I know we are the only place in town that allows the customer to have half-and-half plates,” Niven said about the restaurant’s policy of letting people sample the grilled and fried fingers at the same time.
    Close by is Zaxby’s, a well-known chain that just nested in the community, opening its doors at the beginning of the week.
    George Sherman, owner of the new restaurant, said he believed Starkville’s recent growth created more room for new businesses.
    “With growth you get new restaurants, hotels and shops,” he said. “Starkville has finally grown into its own, and I think there’s room for everybody.”
    And each place seems to be doing well.
    Brad Randall, another cook at Abner’s, said when he works on the daytime shift he has not noticed business hurting that much.
    Niven said Jeb’s was looking at expanding eventually, to an on-campus drive-thru and eventually another location in Columbus.
    “We expected good things out of the Starkville community, but business has far exceeded anything I ever imagined,” Sherman said.
    For now, each eatery plans to maintain the standard operating procedures and allow the food to do the talking.
    “Among other things, we have good grilled wraps, and nothing here is pre-cooked,” Ware said regarding Abner’s. “This is not a fast food place.”
    Likewise, Niven stated that Jeb’s uses only fresh chicken and buttermilk when it cooks its fingers.
    “It takes a big man to eat one of our plates,” Niven said.
    Sherman said his restaurant did not need any gimmicks, because only in its fourth day it has had amazing repeat business.
    Zaxby’s doesn’t cook until the orders are placed, and the salads are cut fresh as well, Sherman said.
    Only time, and a little healthy competition, will tell the fate of these three chicken finger vendors. From the looks of things, none of the chicken finger places are willing to settle for anything less than first place.
    Looking ahead, Sherman said Zaxby’s two main goals were fresh food and great service.
    “We want to have the friendliest, most knowledgeable staff and the best product in Starkville,” he said.
    Jeb’s slogan of bigger and cheaper food, Niven said, will hopefully get the word out about their offerings.
    “Why don’t the other places make me nervou?,” she asked. “It’s because of the flavor. If you focus on one thing, then you’ll do the one thing right.”
    Meanwhile, Ware said the battle plan for Abner’s is to continue doing what they’re doing. “We are going to keep on pumping out some high quality chicken, and that should sell itself.”