Procrastinate now, make excuses for it later

I have had an idea for an article for a while now, but I didn’t get around to writing it until today. The article’s premise was simple enough. For some time I have noticed a disturbing trend in society: Procrastination. It’s running rampant across the world, the nation and even our campus.
    Obviously some forms of procrastinating have always been acceptable, such as class assignments and projects. But now the art of putting things off has managed to bleed over into the everyday life of Joe College Student. No longer are we delaying just our schoolwork. Gone are the days when we got around to doing things in our social and professional lives. Nothing is off limits now from our obsession with procrastination.
    Could it be laziness? I don’t know if that’s the only thing causing us to put things off. Laziness has always been around. Look at the three-toed-sloth.
    But the truth is out there somewhere. There’s got to be a factor that is adding to this new fad. Maybe it’s the acceleration of modern civilization.
    If it’s true that society has developed into a fast-paced world where meetings are conducted via the Internet, deals are finalized over cell phones and almost anything can be delivered overnight express, we should have more time to take care of business. But this isn’t true. So where do we find the time to procrastinate?
    We are constantly doing something, and even with the speed of technology there never seems to be enough time in the day to get everything finished.
    My only theory is that we make time to procrastinate. Which leads to the big question. Why do we make the time to put things in our lives on hold?
    I have to be honest. I put off this article as much as possible. When I first sat down to write it, I felt a sudden urge to get some more mocha. (My other cup was already cold.)
    After picking up my piping hot cup of joe, I saw some friends in the bakery and stopped to say hello. (It would have been rude to rush off, especially since these are some of my favorite people.) And then I realized I have been neglecting my other friends on campus. So I went to visit with them, too. Best to get it all out of the way at once, I told myself.
    Once again at my computer, my phone rang. I can’t just ignore office business, so I allowed my train of thought to be interrupted once more. (But all for the sake of work. Completely acceptable.) Then I turned to my blank screen only to hear another ring. This time my cell phone was playing Gavin Degraw’s “I Don’t Wanna Be,” meaning it was one of my friends calling. I faced a choice of answering or continuing with my task at hand. Curiosity won in the end, and I flipped the phone open. (My friends never know when to shut up. Thirty minutes went down the drain with that decision.)
    The situation snowballed at that point. I was off to run tasks for work, or to get something to drink or to talk to a colleague.
    The time that I had set aside for this article quickly became filled with the following:
    14 business calls (the work of an editor is never done), eight personal calls (but all for very good reasons, I assure you), four attempts to check my e-mail (obviously am very important person) and six voicemail checks (again, going with the very important person theory).
    Two visits to the water cooler (vital for healthy upkeep), one visit to get more coffee (addiction to caffeine kicked in on that one), 12 “How are you doing?” discussions with friends and acquaintances (cannot help being so popular).
    A plethora of conversations with co-workers (as is extremely important to cultivate positive office environment), three mind exercises, one of which I renamed each of the 50 states (not only were games excellent for brain stimulation, but I also grew quite fond of changing Iowa’s name to Cornrows), and four calming yoga techniques (obviously essential to clear mind of all obstructions in order to write stimulating article).
    As I sat recounting all my activities, I suddenly realized I had my answer. We have become a society that can rationalize anything. Think about it.
    I managed to find an excuse for each of my transgressions, placing the blame on the shoulder of any flimsy defense I could think of. Society’s acceptance of this trait could actually be a huge reason for us putting everything off.
    Procrastination. It’s guilt-free in today’s world. We don’t have to feel bad about being late or delayed because we can rationalize the heck out of any bizarre situation. Putting things off has become the latest accepted lifestyle choice.
    So don’t feel bad about waiting to the last minute. It’s not your fault. You, like the rest of us, are another victim of society.