Perry choices, prices increase

Regular diners in Perry Cafeteria may have noticed a slight price increase this year, as well as additional dining options.
    “The highest price the plans have increased by is $80 per semester,” said Director Mohammad Netadj. “We are not here to make a profit. We are here as a self-support unit to serve students, faculty, staff and the MSU community.”
    The cafeteria has raised its prices because food distribution vendors have increased prices by 10 percent, Netadj said.
    The cost has also risen because of a new marketing strategy-an upgraded Thursday night buffet. Thursday’s buffet, which beckons students with unlimited amounts of rib-eye steaks and seafood costs $10.95, said Judy Goodman, Perry Hall Cafeteria manager.
    The new “options-enhanced” buffet features a cycle-menu of salmon, prime rib, baked chicken and chicken fingers for $4 more than the regular night buffet at Perry.
    “They (students) are getting a better value because they’re getting larger cuts of meat and more expensive cuts of meat,” Goodman said.
    The first Thursday back in school, the cafeteria staff cooked more than 600 steaks for hungry students, she added.
    Although prices have increased, Netadj said he still feels that the cafeteria is “very reasonable” compared to other local restaurants. He said the Perry staff tries to keep the traditions of home “like Mom was cooking.”
    Transfer student Wayne Riddle said prices were average compared to the other colleges he’d visited and the selection was slightly better. “I don’t have anything but praise to give this place,” he said.
    “(The food has) gotten a little better since I’ve been here, but I can tell that the prices have gone up,” said Leslie Anderson, a senior in elementary education. “You can’t buy the same thing here you can at The Union. You can’t buy a salad for the same price.”
    The price increase did not play a significant factor in deciding where to eat, Anderson said.
    Netadj said dining services has monthly specials planned for students. “September’s special is a ‘Welcome Back’ luau party,” he said. “We want to make students happy.”