Volleyball starts at Hibernia

After a long and tumultuous off-season, the new-look Mississippi State Lady Bulldog volleyball team will readily take the court.
    In the past nine months the program had half of its scholarship athletes graduate, a head coach resign, six freshman added to the mix, a new head coach hired and two assistant coaches replaced.
    One assistant speaks limited English and the other has only been with the team two weeks. However, despite all the changes, the team has survived the turmoil with remarkable optimism.
    “We’re starting to click really well and get to know each other,” Kelly Willinger said.
    All that remains is to start playing the games.
    The team will open up competitive play this weekend in the Hibernia Bank Classic on the campus of Louisiana-Lafayette.
    The competition looks to be some early tests for the experience-green Bulldogs. The Lady Dawgs will face Northwestern State and host team UL-L on Friday before completing the tournament with Saturday games against Tulsa and Air Force.
    All four teams compiled records better than MSU last season and all returned at least four starters.
    However, Bulldog head coach Tina Seals says she feels the team is ready for the challenge.
    “These girls are ready to play,” Seals said. “They have been practicing hard for weeks, and now they are just ready to get out there and compete against someone. This tournament will give us a good idea of where we are and what we need to work on.”
    Seals has set her starting lineup for the tournament, and it gives the team a mix of youth and experience.
    Starting as middle blockers will be two freshmen, Erin Seago and Christa Fulenwider. At the Libero position for the departed Tanika Taylor will be senior Ashley Sledge.
    Willinger, a two-year letter winner, will start at right hitter. She will be complimented by two more veterans, outside hitters Rachel Cooper and Jami Hester.
    Andrea Mead will control the Lady Dawg offense as its setter. Mead has large shoes to fill, succeeding Jennifer Hadden who finished her career fourth in school history in assists.
    Seals has certain expectations about the success this team can have this year, but she also knows that this is a rebuilding year, and dominant programs take time to build.
    “It is always your goal to win (every game),” Seals said. “But (we want) to defend our home court, earn some respect from our SEC opponents, and try to build a winning and competitive foundation for Mississippi State volleyball.”
    Seals also said a .500 record, and a team GPA above 3.0 as goals for the 2004 campaign.
    Willinger says the team is not content to call this a rebuilding year, especially where rivalries are concerned.
    “We want to beat (Mississippi) twice and win the SEC,” Willinger said. “That’s always the goal.”