Three find ‘Home’ in campus gallery

Some say one can never go home, but three artists are doing just that. Bart Galloway, Rebecca Hart and Amie Oliver all have works on display in the McComas Hall art gallery’s “Bring It Home” exhibit.
    Though the works in the “Bring It Home” exhibition range from traditional pieces to modern abstracts, the artists all have one thing in common: they are Mississippi State University alumni.
    The exhibition, which opened Aug. 30, officially kicked off with an opening reception Thursday.
    Galloway, who is from Jackson, Hart of Santa Rosa Beach, Fla., and Oliver of Richmond, Va., were all chosen in a competitive exhibition in 2002.
    Each artist uses different elements and colors within their works, gallery director Bill Andrews said. Paintings by Galloway and Oliver and works made up of various cloth materials, natural textures and objects by Hart are all on display.
    “Each artist’s work is completely different, ranging from subtle to grand differences,” Andrews said. “Bart Galloway’s pallet is extremely vibrant and charged, while Amie Oliver’s pallet of color is more subdued. Viewers won’t necessarily have a specific preference. I believe they will enjoy comparing the different pieces.”
    “Each artist’s style is very distinct. You can tell who did what by their brush strokes, their textures, color choices and images they used,” said one of the gallery’s visitors, Ashley Karnes, a sophomore interior design major. My favorite is ‘Improvised Pastoral’ by Calloway because abstract art is my favorite, and I like his color choice.”
    Andrews said the alumni exhibit is a chance for students to become acquainted with the gallery and see the potential that MSU artists have.
    “For a lot of students, it’s a surprise that we have an art gallery here at the university. We are attempting to change that,” Andrews said. “I think what students will like best about the show is that the individuals featured have a connection to the university. The work is powerful and visually intriguing. I think they’ll be attracted to every component. It’s a very strong show.”
    Dixie Boswell, a senior art major who works at the McComas gallery for her gallery management class, also noted the advantage to having an on campus art gallery. “The size, setup and location is very convenient,” she said. “It’s not far away or across town. Students can come easily.”
    Boswell also said more visitors to the gallery would help the art department. ”
    “When any visitors come, we ask them to sign the guest book,” she said. “The more people who attend our gallery shows and receptions, the more money the university might give to us for larger shows.”
    The exhibition is open to the public 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 1-4 p.m. Sunday. Admission is free. The exhibition will run until Sept. 24.
    For those who miss the current show, another exhibition, titled “George T. Thurmond Color Studies: Light Keys in the Landscape,” is scheduled Oct. 4-29, with an opening reception Oct. 7 from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
    For more information, contact the art department at 325-2970.