Outdoors club enjoys campfire, nature at Tishomingo

If a tree falls in the forest, the Bulldog Outdoors Club just might be there to hear it.
    On the clubs’ trip to Tishomingo State Park last weekend, members spotted a tree that stood despite its dead wood.
    The group decided the tree posed a safety hazard and tried to fell it.
    “Several of the men picked up a huge rock and tried to knock the tree down,” explained club president Cori Parish.
    The effort knocked down some of the branches.
    “It was like an avalanche,” Parish recalled.
    The club traveled to the 1,530-acre state park Friday, camped that night and hiked the four-mile trail Saturday after a high-carb breakfast.
    Parish said the group enjoyed “shooting the bull” about episodes of “Family Guy” and “South Park” around the campfire Friday night and the 200-foot swinging bridge across Bear Creek Saturday morning.
    Parish said she had to hold her dogs, Angel and Kara by the collars as they crossed the wobbly bridge.
    “It was a breathtaking view from the middle of the bridge,” Parish said. “Steam was beginning to come off the water.”
    Tishomingo State Park features various artifacts from as far back as 7000 B.C., and unique topography and geology compared with the rest of Mississippi. Located at the northeast corner of the state, Tishomingo is considered part of the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.
    The park features several cliffs and waterfalls.
    “There are gorgeous cliffs. It’s a great place to rappel and climb,” Parish said.
    “We climbed to the top of one and it looked like Pride Rock in The Lion King,” Parish added.
    The club invites students and faculty to join. For more information, contact Cori Parish at [email protected].