Sooner or later, the ‘Dores were going to win

Rarely does the Vanderbilt second string enter a game, but it got its chance in Saturday night’s 31-13 bashing of Mississippi State in front of 27,292 at Vanderbilt Stadium. The win is the second Southeastern Conference victory for Vanderbilt in four seasons. The Commodores lead was so safe that even some Vandy third string players made an appearance.
    The last time the Commodores beat Mississippi State was in 1988. The Bulldogs ended that season with an overall record of 1-10.
    Vanderbilt (1-3) used a tenacious running game, a consistent passing attack and capitalized for scores on three of five Mississippi State (1-4) turnovers to whip State for the seventh time in the series history. Although Mississippi State’s physicality showed improvement, State has turned the ball over 13 times in their last three games.
    “This one’s on me,” a deflated Sylvester Croom said. “I thought our kids played hard. I thought they played physical, but I’ve got to coach them better than what we showed out there tonight.”
    Yet again, MSU amassed a cluster of mistakes in their 15th consecutive Southeastern Conference road loss. State had five turnovers (one fumble and four interceptions), nine penalties and allowed 245 yards of rushing to the 82nd ranked rushing offense in the nation.
    “We’ve got a ways to go,” Croom said. “But I’m pleased with the way they got after it tonight. We just made too many mistakes to win.”
    After Kyle York’s interception on the opening drive of the game, Vanderbilt drove 53 yards down to the Bulldog 17-yard line where kicker Patrick Johnson nailed a 34-yard field goal to put Vandy on top first.
    MSU took its only lead of the night late in the first quarter when running back Jerious Norwood followed his blockers into the end zone from 10 yards out. Norwood racked up 42 yards on three carries that touchdown drive, but he ended the game with a surprising 67-yard total. After getting nine touches for 55 yards in the first two quarters of the game, the junior tailback only carried the ball three times in the second half.
    The Bulldogs rushed the ball 29 times for 138 total rushing yards–numbers that displeased Croom.
    “Our intention was to run the ball 40-plus times,” Croom said, “but the score didn’t allow us to stick with that plan.”
    The Bulldogs squandered the 7-3 lead thanks to a bevy of penalties and turnovers in the next three quarters of play.
    On the ensuing drive Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler kept the ball on the option and bolted 26-yards through the Bulldog defense for the go ahead touchdown.
    After a fumbled kickoff return pinned the Dawgs on their own goal line, York heaved a pass to Will Prosser, who made a move on the ball and in the process nudged the defensive back. Prosser caught the ball and sprinted to the end zone, but an official dropped a flag that negated the 96-yard touchdown pass.
    “Will made a great play, which he does everyday in practice,” York said about Prosser’s grab. “It would have definitely boosted our ego (if the touchdown would have stood).”
    A play later MSU had to punt from its own end zone.
    The Commodores took over at midfield with backup quarterback Steven Bright. After fullback Mathew Tant raced 22 yards down to the one-yard line, Bright snuck into the end zone on first and goal with 8:37 to go in the second quarter. The PAT put the ‘Dores up 17-7.
    York, who had shoulder surgery nine months ago, threw his second interception came with just 1:45 left in first half.
    “It’s obvious his arm is not 100 percent,” Croom said. “We knew that coming into the game.”
    Vandy took over at the MSU 40-yard line, and a holding call on a Bulldog defensive back the Commodores moved inside the 15-yard line.
    With 13 seconds left in the first half, Cutler threw a bullet to Eric Davis, who ran a simple post pattern into the end zone. The score put the Commodores on top 24-7 at the half.
    Senior Punter Jared Cook replaced Brooks Crabtree early in the third quarter, after Crabtree’s third and final punt of the night wobbled for 29 yards.
    “We needed some more distance,” Croom said. “Jared’s just got better distance. We may end up using two kickers based on field position.”
    True freshman quarterback Mike Henig was put in for three possessions during the third quarter. In those three possessions Henig completed one of four passes and threw an interception. After the pick, Vandy scored its final touchdown minutes left in the third quarter.
    Norwood ran through the second string Vandy defense for the final touchdown with two and a half minutes left in the game. The Bulldogs’ two-point conversion attempt failed.
    Cutler finished the game with 49 rushing yards, tying him with running back Norval McKenzie. McKenzie and Cutler each had 10 rushing attempts. Due to Vandy’s dominant rushing attack, the 6-foot-4, 225 pound Cutler only had 91 yards through the air while completing 10 of 17 passing attempts.
    The Commodores used two other running backs in their brutal ground assault against Mississippi State.
    Tant ran for 37 yards and third stringer Jeff Jennings pounded out 33 yards on nine carries.