Flu vaccinations limited this season

What’s the best way to prepare for this year’s flu season? Donate your flu shot.
    Chiron, one of only two flu vaccine manufacturers in the world, will not distribute vaccines this year, reducing the nation’s supply to half the amount it usually receives.
    The best way for students to prevent spreading the flu this season is to forego a flu shot for someone at high risk, said Liz Sharlot, director of communications for the Mississippi State Department of Health.
    “Other tips for students include eating right, getting enough rest, staying in while sick and washing one’s hands regularly,” she said. “Healthy individuals should not worry; we just need to focus on those at high risk.”
    Some high-risk patients include individuals over the age of 65, children between the ages of six and 23 months, health care workers and individuals with chronic diseases like asthma, Sharlot added.
    “Individuals considered to be at high risk should contact their local provider,” she said.
    The Longest Student Health Center is boosting orders and preparations to meet the needs of both its private and student patients for this flu season. The health center has placed an extra order for Flu Mist, a nasal vaccine effective for individuals between the ages of about six to 65.
    “We’ve always offered Flu Mist, but we are preparing for this season with more of this vaccine as well as more oral anti-viral medications,” said Shannon Street, head pharmacist for the student health center.
    Patients must have a prescription for Flu Mist, and appointments can be made at the health center, Street said.
    “We will not be having a day set aside for these vaccines like we usually do for the flu shot, but we will set up appointments as needed and prescriptions will cost around $25,” she said.
    Street added that ordinary precautions should be taken such as covering one’s mouth when coughing or sneezing, using a hand sanitizer regularly, avoiding individuals who are already sick and quickly recognizing symptoms of the flu like a sudden onset of fever and/or chills.
    Mary Virginia Morgan, a student worker at the health center, said she, along with other colleagues, will not receive a vaccine this season.
    “I usually receive a shot because my work environment puts me at such a high risk for contracting the flu, but I want my shot to go to someone at a higher risk,” she said. “I’m not worried, though, the health center is taking the necessary precautions to protect its employees and patients.”
    Street added that students who contract the virus this season should not worry because they have the ability to recover so quickly. Most students recover within a couple of days, she said.
    “The most important thing is for students to recognize their symptoms and make an appointment immediately,” she said. “The faster you get to the Health Center, the less likely you are to get sick or cause someone else to get sick.”