Hurry up, focus

What’s in a name? That’s what Shakespeare asked. There’s a lot of things that guy said, like “A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”
    Speaking of roses, I think they’re overrated. Those thorns are such a bother. Now daisies, that’s the way to go. Sure, they’re not the prettiest. But I always thought Stephanie on “Full House” was the best, even thought everyone thought Ms. D.J. Tanner was the hottest.
    I miss “Full House.” Looking back on it I realize that the lessons were corny, the dialogue cornier and the acting mediocre at best. But I could still sing along to that theme song any day. You know you can, too.
    Did you ever wonder where all those feathers in bedding come from? That idea came to me as I placed my head on my feather pillow. Do they grow a crop of geese somewhere in Idaho solely for the purpose of bedding materials?
    Poor animals. Can you imagine them at a high school career fair?
    “So little duckling, what would you like to do when you grow up?”
    “I’ve always wanted to stuff a pillow, maybe a queen-sized one,” answers the ill-fated duck.
    I never knew what I wanted to do when I attended career fair. I went to every booth and walked away with a new idea. I thought, “I want to be a consultant for a pharmaceutical company.” Or, “You know, I am interested in nuclear waste management for my long-term career goals.”
    With my natural tendencies to ask lots of questions and freely jump from one topic to the next, I get lost. Or I lose my audience.
    And all that leads to my point “du jour.” We are a people with short attention spans. Look at TV. They have to show flashing, epileptic-seizure-producing commercials along with short-span programs.
    We grow to love and hate a song in one day, wear and discard a shirt in 20 minutes and change our handwriting style with every word. (Trust me, people do this more than you know.)
    Some call it ADD, which is a very real, very legitimate reason. But not everyone in the world has simultaneously sprouted this disorder. There’s a reason out there somewhere.
    What? You expected me to disclose the reason? What makes you think I have the time or patience to research that answer?
    So maybe it’s our fast-paced society (Aren’t you just sick of that word by now? We hyphen everything nowadays. Why don’t we have the time to come up with elaborate, flowery words, instead of sticking two existing words together with a hyphen?) Maybe with the always curious human psyche we are becoming steadily more observant and inquisitive of our surrounding. So much in fact that we can’t be bothered to focus on one thing at any given time.
    So we can’t take the time to find out what we’re trying to learn in the first place. Catch 22!
    I love that word, too. Took me forever to figure out what it meant. Know what other word I like? Hullabaloo.
    Look it up if you want to know what it means. Take the time to focus on one thing for more than two seconds and look it up. It’ll be fun. I promise.