Dawgs, Rebs: kickin’ rivalry

Sports thrive on rivalry and for Mississippi State, that rival has always been Mississippi. This rivalry is big enough to go beyond the gridiron and onto the soccer field.
    The bitter rivals will collide at 7 tonight at the MSU Soccer Field. However, for the first time in a long time, this game will not have any bearing on who gets to play in the SEC Tournament.
    But that does not mean that the rivalry is lessened in any way.
    “It’s just as big every time we play them. They’re always ready to play. It’s just all about guts and who wants it more,” said senior defender Morgan McDonald.
    They know that the journey is not over, and that the road only gets harder from here. If this year’s squad is to accomplish their future goals for this season and postseason, they believe it has to be based on what has gotten them this far–consistency.
    “We have been consistent all year. There have been times when we have played very good soccer, there have been times we have stuggled to score goals, but overall I think we have been a very consistent team,” said head coach Neil MacDonald.
    This is new ground for MacDonald. Not only is this his first year at the reigns of MSU’s soccer team, but it is also the first time a first-year head coach’s team has been eligible for the SEC tourney.
    Regardless of what unfamiliarity there might be, the Lady Dawgs know finishing the season strongly would be a huge advantage.
    With only two games remaining on the schedule-Mississippi and Georgia State-the team’s target is easier to identify.
    “(Going in with momentum) is really big, ’cause our first goal as a team is to get to the SEC tournament and we’ve accomplished that and we fell really great,” junior midfielder and defender Meghan Odom said. “We’re hoping to finish it out with wins.”
    The wins would not only be positive for the momentum of tourney play, but give the Lady Dawgs a shot at something they have never accomplished-an NCAA tournament birth.
    The NCAA tournament selection format places automatic bids to 26 conferences winners, and then leaves spots for 38 at large bids. Additional win support would help the Bulldogs in this conquest.
    “Beating Ole Miss would place us fifth in the tournament, playing fourth. Hopefully this will make the first team easier for us to get through, and obviously beating Georgia State will give us a shot at an at-large bid for the NCAA tournament,” McDonald said.